Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

10 top tips for a successful tenant background check

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 05 Feb 2015, 08:34 AM Agree 0
We've all heard the horror stories of tenants who destroy property or fail to pay rent. A bad tenant can be a nightmare for any landlord, as well as both emotionally and financially draining.
  • Omer Quenneville | 05 Feb 2015, 12:17 PM Agree 0
    They failed to mention the importance of a credit check. The best measure of future behavior is past behavior and a credit check is the best way to measure past behavior.
  • | 09 Feb 2015, 03:39 PM Agree 0
    Omer, the article is three separate pages long and the author has mentioned a credit check in #9.
  • Jetty | 10 Feb 2015, 05:42 AM Agree 0
    It is very informative article as one who is renting must know all the information in todays world thanks
  • Kumar v | 10 Feb 2015, 05:43 AM Agree 0
    It is amazing to know all in and out for renting,as my self is also landlord and it is very useful article
  • Dewitte | 10 Feb 2015, 11:14 AM Agree 0
    good article,gives you basic and good guide line to follow
  • Jon | 16 Feb 2015, 05:26 PM Agree 0
    Believe it or not, In Ontario, Landlords are NOT allowed to use a rent to income ratio. That is a violation of the Ontario Human Rights Housing policy. Landlords are ONLY allowed to consider if the tenant has enough income to pay the monthly rent. Landlords are NOT allowed to consider other such living expenses as food, utilities, transportation ect..........hard to believe, but its true.
  • thepinch | 26 May 2015, 04:49 PM Agree 0
    Credit is a good indicator when we live in perfect worlds. Unfortunately we live in a world where over half the jobs in Canada's largest city are precarious; where divorce is common, and where the kids are moving back in. Look for transparency about their situation and ask yourself if they can afford it. I had a tenant file for bankruptcy after a divorce. But he was over 50, and had a good job for nearly 20 years. Bottom line - don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
  • Jessy Shaw | 28 Jul 2015, 01:27 PM Agree 0
    My husband and I are landlords of some apartment buildings in Las Vegas. We have had some pretty crazy people move in before so we are being more strict with the background check. I will definitely use these tips when we are interviewing people. It is amazing how diverse people can be. Thanks for the information and help!
  • gnarmar | 14 Sep 2015, 08:51 PM Agree 0
    Great article! It doesn't hurt to do your homework, especially before signing a tenancy agreement.

I would like to recommend a great free resource for preforming a thorough background check. contains over 2 billion public records.
    Check it out, its proven helpful for me time and time again!
  • Henry Heuver | 21 Oct 2015, 12:09 AM Agree 0
    We used the following tactic frequently and it worked quite nicely. After you have checked all the important info such as credit check, employment etc, you phone them and tell them that you still have to discuss a few items ( you can come up with many items to discuss) and asked them if they will be home to meet you.
    Well, drop them if they say no. If they say yes, "come on over" , that is a positive sign. Once you enter the premises, you then can judge right away how they live and take care of the rental unit. We usually sign up right there when everything looks OK.
    Good luck.......Obviously, this does not work if the appliacant lives in a far away city.
  • RoBko | 04 Nov 2015, 08:40 AM Agree 0
    This is really great information for me thank you!
Post a reply