Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Buy a property in america

Notify me of new replies via email
Steven594B | 24 Sep 2014, 03:24 AM Agree 0
Can a non resident American buy a property in america?
  • WillAshWP | 31 Oct 2014, 12:14 PM Agree 0
    The latest edition of Canadian Estate Wealth magazine mentioned Cleveland and Columbus as the two hottest towns to invest in the U.S. Does anyone have other hot cities to look at? Especially in and around the Great Lakes.
  • WillAshWP | 03 Nov 2014, 11:22 AM Agree 0
    I read somewhere on this site that Park City's a good spot given Vail Resorts has bought the ski resort there. A condo in Park City is probably more expensive than a house in Cleveland I would think. A follow-on question: Is resort real estate a good investment?
  • Skibum | 04 Nov 2014, 12:24 PM Agree 0
    Resort buying is often done with heart not head - and if that's the case, try to work out how often you'll use 'your' ski cabin and if the math works out. Sometimes it's worth looking at long term rentals in ski resorts - staff have to live somewhere. AND you don't have to pay huge rental % to short term letting agents.

You might WANT that Whistler ski lodge, but do the numbers first. Then look at the difference from buying that investment property you DON'T want to use. Quite often the math means you can buy a 'regular' investment property and use the profits to rent a fabulous ski lodge for the week you want to ski AND a week in the Bahamas with the difference.

That having been said, I like the look of some of the US ski resorts - they were badly hit in the recession and I believe they will lag the recovery and then benefit from a ripple effect. I was looking at Breckenridge in Colorado and an appraiser there reckoned that the sub $650k market was red hot, then quiet until $1.5 to $2M up and that sector was moving too. Just a snippet of info if anyone is interested!
  • Joan Beauchamp Distinct Estates | 14 Jan 2015, 09:44 PM Agree 0
    yes of course, but on the sell there is a with holding tax

• Brion Crum | 28 Jan 2015, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    At Caliber Companies, we currently offer properties in Arizona to our Canadian investors but we are looking in other locations that have good job growth and affordable prices. Phoenix, AZ has been a great market and opportunities continue to exist here despite the recovery we have experienced. We have many people and companies continue to move here from the mid-west, California and Canada to take advantage of the business climate, great weather and year round activities. We are establishing an easier way for Canadians to invest in the US through our funds. Contact me to stay in touch and learn more
Post a reply