Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Buyers put off by bad spelling

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 11 Mar 2014, 12:19 AM Agree 0

Buyers take note of every detail of a potential property, and now that includes every aspect of a seller’s listing. According to a new poll by Redfin, over 40 per cent of survey respondents say they would be less inclined to tour a home if its online listing contained misspellings or improper grammar.
The biggest mistakes that irk buyers include the overuse of abbreviations, forgotten punctuation and simple bad spelling.
A badly written advertisement, says real estate guru Julie Broad, can also impact the type of tenant you attract to your property and advises landlords to spend more time cleaning up their listing. “Almost every property had an ideal tenant who is best suited to live in and love the property. Write your ad with that person in mind, such as a family.”
While many sellers believe the photos do the talking, a majority of those surveyed said that while images are important, the description is of more relevance.
Redfin says that a 50-word description is ideal and such listings sell within a 90-day period and for a higher price.

**Julie Broad provides an in-depth guideline how you can write the perfect advertisement to attract the best tenants in the March issue of Canadian Real Estate Wealth. This issue is on the newsstands until March 14.
  • Leona Golding | 20 Mar 2014, 09:16 AM Agree 0
    I do agree with what you are saying but the new generation just cannot spell anymore and as for the use of proper English is going to be a thing of the past. The majority of our graduates today cannot cursive write and our English language is changing so fast. I own a small boutique real estate company in a beautiful seaside town and so far I have kept very high standards but it is a daily challenge.
Post a reply