Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Canada releases 'A new vision for housing in Canada'

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 22 Nov 2016, 11:39 AM Agree 0
The Canadian government has unveiled its housing strategy plans, following months of consultation with Canadians and industry stakeholders
  • Aldoman | 22 Nov 2016, 12:21 PM Agree 0
    Wynne's transfer of Multi-Res property taxes to homeowners in Ontario will make housing more unaffordable, and especially so when you had the skyrocketing hydro rates!
  • Dizzy | 22 Nov 2016, 12:40 PM Agree 0
    What a pile of political bs. The report. Which most likely was not inexpensive to produce, should be titled. How to Say Nothing 10 Different Ways"
    • Bob Murray | 24 Nov 2016, 08:31 AM Agree 0
      Absolutely agree with you. What I read was a bunch of political speak. It's all a bunch of smoke and mirrors of the left to make it appear they are trying to help everyone have a home to live in.
  • | 22 Nov 2016, 04:16 PM Agree 0
    Agree with Dizzy. What a bunch of garbage...sounds like it was written by a highschool social sciences class. I've got a suggestion -- build more homes.
  • M | 22 Nov 2016, 06:09 PM Agree 0
    I look in vain at some clear reference to the role of the market in all this. Canada's real estate market attracts sought after investment from within and outside Canada; and the role of the market is presumably part of a realistic solution; the deafening silence about the market and the function that supply and demand has upon it, shows that whoever officials were who wrote the report were not schooled in the realities of a a vitally important part of the the North American economy. It shows also a lack of understanding to the socially useful role of property investment. And what of the effect upon officials responsible for less than efficient planning processes to release land for commercially viable housing development? those with a mediocre record of processing applications are unlikely to feel the heat as a result of this report; and further mediocrity in this area is thus likely.
  • Samir | 22 Nov 2016, 07:37 PM Agree 0
    Please do not be too quick to disagree with the report. at least this government as promised to have a public consultation and input to hear from the public what are the issues and what are the needs. better than the last government who never consulted anyone. Now let us give the government a chance o see what policies they will implement if they are genuinely what to help address the needs. Let us not forget it is not just the Federal government have all the answers, it has to be in collaboration wi9th the provincial and local to work together. also have the private sector to come with certain percentage of what the develop and build for non profit housing for low income and homeless. Unless we start thinking of us as a community to share and help instead of the greed and not to care. we will never resolve the issue. in my book, homeless, aboriginal and low income are in need of proper housing first and foremost. We started a dialogue, now let us see if they will deliver.
  • Schilight | 26 Nov 2016, 08:01 AM Agree 0
    It's nice of them to prepare a report summarizing the input of Canadians and outlining what we want, but now what...?

The key is always the part where everyone demands measurable, attainable goals and objectives, but we see all too often that the goals are never established in a clear, measurable way. By the time they establish objectives (if they're good ones at all) and improve the data collection methods enough to measure improvements, the public will have lost faith in the process or the government/management will have changed enough to choose a completely different path.

I'm always hopeful, but not overly expectant, that this will elicit true change and a comprehensive National Housing Strategy that actually meets the needs outlined in the report.
  • Gwest | 19 Dec 2016, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    When are people going to wake up? Central Banks are the problem and until our monetary system & capital markets change, this is as good as it gets!
    If anyone cares to read the COMER newsletter, go to their site. There's a Constitutional challenge happening that receives almost Zero media coverage.
Post a reply