Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

CEO reacts to landlord discrimination case

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 02 Jun 2015, 12:00 PM Agree 0
A landlord is being forced to pay $2,000 after a Human Rights Tribunal ruled she discriminated against a woman who was allegedly suffering from depression.
  • | 05 Jun 2015, 03:20 PM Agree 0
    this is a case that can be easily appealed, unless I was misled, i do not see evidence of the landlord discriminate that lady ( evidenced by the fact that the tenant could not prove her mental illness or harm), i only see that the landlady was too busy that she forgot to call that lady back ( or maybe she totally forgot about it . evidenced by there has not been any written request / application from that lady).
    The landlady has hundreds of thing to do in a day to babysit a tenant.
  • Glori-Jeanne | 08 Jun 2015, 10:05 AM Agree 0
    Surely, we can use some discernment when choosing someone who is going to live in our property. It is not first come, first served. We interview them, check references, and try to get a good sense of how well they will care for our lovely properties. When we have a good client ready to sign a lease, we don't ask them to wait while we check with all the people who earlier asked us to keep them in mind. No lease, no money, no obligation - for either party.
  • judy | 09 Jun 2015, 01:07 PM Agree 0
    Landlords can really go only on instinct! The protection a landlord has for his safety, peace of mind and property is virtually nil when you get a bad tenant. All the legislation and Ombudsmen in the world will not re-imburse you for your losses or harrassment. Landlords, you are on your own - you can't get blood from a stone!
Post a reply