Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Commentary: Misguided attempt to avoid ‘racist’ tag has made life harder for Vancouverites

Notify me of new replies via email
Ephraim Vecina | 16 Nov 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Pro-foreigner policies that have been in place for decades are the root cause of unprecedented rates of home price growth, according to an analyst
  • LanceH | 16 Nov 2016, 09:15 AM Agree 0
    I take issue with the author labeling the Gov's conduct as "deregulation". Ignoring laws isn't deregulation. Ignoring laws is illegal, it's a Breach of Trust - a chargeable offence. Deregulation is when Gov's redact laws through the parliamentary process. They have nothing to do with each other and such lines shouldn't be blurred.
  • M | 16 Nov 2016, 11:15 AM Agree 0
    And what about Vancouver realtors who scheme for nativists to 'opt for the stability of the district'? Are such euphemisms, intended to exclude Chinese people, really acceptable after all?
  • Van realtor | 16 Nov 2016, 02:13 PM Agree 0
    Kudos to the author!

Thought it was only I that never really understood all those government (and Developer) junkets to China to promote an already overheated Vancouver market as a 'desirable real estate investment'! Now a quick about-face and outright bail on foreign buyers (by way of taxes) once things got out of control and the masses began speaking out. (Oh Right, Election coming-up!)

Even now it appears many developers have also bailed on Foreign Buyers...it seems that those same Foreign Buyers that supported cash rich Vancouver developers over those many years are NOT being permitted (by some developers) to assign their contracts for fear that the CCRA will come after developers for 'Tax avoidance' in respect to the new foreign buyers tax!

I suspect and hope that this group of buyers will remember how they've been treated by both Government and Developers!

Post a reply