Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Condo rules to affect investor ROI

Notify me of new replies via email
guest | 14 Feb 2012, 08:13 PM Agree 0

Billed as the most significant rule changes in 14 years, amendments to B.C.'s Strata Property Act will force all but the smallest of condo corporations to file depreciation reports every three years.
Those reports must not only outline the current conditions of the condo building, but provide a 30-year budget for repairs, maintenance and upgrades. The amendments take effect next month, athough the first depreciation reports won't need to be filed until late 2013.
The changes effectively duplicate requirements already in place both in Alberta and Ontario and may ultimately bolster the confidence of condo investors now reluctant to adopt buy-and-hold strategies for fear of special assessments and other unexpected maintenance costs.
That extra security, though, may come at a cost to investor cash flow, complain some real estate investors.
It’s likely that a significant number of condo owners, many in Greater Vancouver, will see a spike in condo fees as boards struggle to prepare and update their reports.
Many boards are also expected to levy special assessments in order to make necessary repairs ahead of filing their conditions report -- a way of better positioning the corporation in the eyes of provincial regulators, suggest real estate legal experts.
Preparing the paperwork alone may run as high as $50,000 for a large condominium building, with most boards expected to pass that on to condo investors in the form higher fees.
That won’t just affect buy-and-hold investors, but also those looking to cash out as higher carrying costs for existing units edge above those for new construction.
The challenge of finding buyers for those older units may also get tougher.
There is, however, an out for condo boards opting to defer their initial filing by as much as 18 months. Still, even that grace period could make it more difficult for investors to cash out if buyers object to the lack of transparency.
  • philip | 16 Feb 2012, 11:05 PM Agree 0
    intereeting article about the reports for properties in BC. one key factor is missing. The is a requirment to provide the report but in BC there is no componant to fund the reported repairs.
    I expect that many buildings will elect not to undertake all the repairs until they are forced to do so.
  • philip | 17 Feb 2012, 12:05 AM Agree 0
    intereeting article about the reports for properties in BC. one key factor is missing. The is a requirment to provide the report but in BC there is no componant to fund the reported repairs.
    I expect that many buildings will elect not to undertake all the repairs until they are forced to do so.
  • temasparawordpress.es | 05 Mar 2014, 08:22 AM Agree 0
    You are so awesome! I don't believe I have read something like this before.
    So great to discover another person with a few genuine thoughts on this
    topic. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up.
    This website is something that is required on the web,
    someone with a bit of originality!
Post a reply