Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Condos crack down on Airbnb

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 31 Oct 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Condo managers are already cracking down on Airbnb rentals prior to the expected regulation in Toronto
  • Diane Plant | 31 Oct 2016, 01:18 PM Agree 0
    I'm in agreement. I had a client who used his condo for an AirBnb and he had new people coming and going every week. I heard from other tenants that these people were fighting, creating loud noises and undesirable. This is not a great situation for owners, tenants and general security in the building.
  • Worried. | 31 Oct 2016, 01:24 PM Agree 0
    I am a condo owner.
    I do not offer my apartment or rooms for rent on AirbnB, and I am not interested to do so.
    That said, I am greatly troubled that condo Boards feel they can unilaterally govern what condo owners can and cannot do within their own properties. Boards should never have this type of power.
    On principal, condo owners should make it clear that any Board Members who imagine they have this power, that they will find that they are not re-elected next year.
  • Alister | 31 Oct 2016, 03:40 PM Agree 0
    The News media loves Horror stories. The reality is far from that and, you would find that the majority of Airbnb users are they themselves Airbnb travelers and have a similar outlook of care and attention for each other's properties. We have been successfully working with Airbnb guests for over a year in three of our properties. We have had nothing but a good experience and respectful guests, many of them skilled professionals such as pilots, doctors, teachers and families visiting the area.
    We had long-term rental tenants in our properties before we went Airbnb and, had many issues with tenants nonpayment of rent abuse of the property and finally eviction of the tenant and repairs to complete afterwards.
    The press and local authorities seem to have little understanding of the Airbnb clientele and its strict rules for reporting poor Airbnb guests within the Airbnb system, which filters out problem guests very quickly!
    We can honestly say that Airbnb has been a good experience for us, guests have been mindful of the rules of the house and we've had no reason for concern. Any guests who cant adhere to the rules of the house can be sent packing very quickly, as they are not tenants who routinely hide behind the very one sided landlord and tenant act.!
  • John | 07 Nov 2016, 10:33 AM Agree 0
    I have several units that I list with Airbnb. I make every guest sign a 6 month lease contract with a mutual termination clause after 1 day.
  • Travelling Family | 07 Nov 2016, 06:00 PM Agree 0
    As a person who frequently rents apartments through Air BNB all I can say is that this service is a god send. How can a family travel and find a space that works and is not very expensive. Having flexibility in the housing market is important and Air BNB helps with this.
Post a reply