Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

CREA may be forced to provide stats online for public use: PropertyGuys.com

Notify me of new replies via email
guest | 08 Aug 2011, 03:15 PM Agree 0

“Will CREA go far enough to satisfy the appetite of the market and the entrepreneurs who are navigating the market? I don’t know, but let’s not pretend the Competition of Bureau won’t have a say,” he told CRE Online.CREA is developing a data distribution facility (DDF), which will feed Realtor.ca listings to brokerage websites and eventually to third-party websites. The DDF, which is expected to be operational sometime this fall, will not provide any new information, such as average selling prices or sales statistics, Gary Zalepa Jr., chair of the CREA technology council, told CRE Online. The policy only permits brokerages and third-party companies to use and customize Realtor.ca listings on their websites. “CREA doesn’t have the ability to display sales information anywhere because the members have not given that permission,” Zalepa told CRE Online.Each board decides how much information it will release to the public, but Realtors can provide sales statistics to clients in person, on the phone or by email -- just not on websites. But today’s tech-savvy consumers are demanding a greater amount of information online to make more informed decisions, Melanson said, adding that they’re no longer willing to accept the status quo. “As far as I’m concerned if you can give the customer something in their hand or whisper it into their ear lawfully, you should be allowed to deliver it electronically and efficiently over robust platforms,” he says. “We’re not changing the landscape of this market; the changing needs of the customer are changing the landscape.”
  • Rosy Saadeh | 09 Aug 2011, 01:45 PM Agree 0
    I don't understand why this transparency wasn't required from the get-go. I guess now that we're in the day and age where the consumer comes to the table fully informed, the demands are growing for greater transparency in the real estate world.
  • Rosy Saadeh | 09 Aug 2011, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    I don't understand why this transparency wasn't required from the get-go. I guess now that we're in the day and age where the consumer comes to the table fully informed, the demands are growing for greater transparency in the real estate world.
  • James L. | 09 Aug 2011, 07:29 PM Agree 0
    We can't wait for the data to be opened up. Many opportunities will open up and it will allow a whole new generation of applications to be developed that will ultimately benefit consumers.

In the US cities where Redfin/Zillow are in the market, consumers are predominantly using those websites rather than the ones supported by the Real Estate organizations. Those applications provide better user experience and provide richer data for consumers.
  • James L. | 09 Aug 2011, 08:29 PM Agree 0
    We can't wait for the data to be opened up. Many opportunities will open up and it will allow a whole new generation of applications to be developed that will ultimately benefit consumers.

In the US cities where Redfin/Zillow are in the market, consumers are predominantly using those websites rather than the ones supported by the Real Estate organizations. Those applications provide better user experience and provide richer data for consumers.
  • CMW | 09 Aug 2011, 09:28 PM Agree 0
    While in the end it makes little difference (Realtor's provide a far greater service than just stats) I don't know why the Competition Bureau has any say in this. Are large private corporations forced to provide stats to the general public? CREA owns the website so I don't know why those of us with no connection to CREA should have access to their information.
  • CMW | 09 Aug 2011, 10:28 PM Agree 0
    While in the end it makes little difference (Realtor's provide a far greater service than just stats) I don't know why the Competition Bureau has any say in this. Are large private corporations forced to provide stats to the general public? CREA owns the website so I don't know why those of us with no connection to CREA should have access to their information.
  • Josef K | 09 Aug 2011, 11:14 PM Agree 0
    I'm in the U.S. currently searching for a home and regularly use Zillow or Redfin to point out some ideas to my buyer's agent. He has some ideas as well, but it just makes the whole process more user-friendly. I don't understand why realtors would be threatened by this in Canada.
  • Josef K | 10 Aug 2011, 12:14 AM Agree 0
    I'm in the U.S. currently searching for a home and regularly use Zillow or Redfin to point out some ideas to my buyer's agent. He has some ideas as well, but it just makes the whole process more user-friendly. I don't understand why realtors would be threatened by this in Canada.
  • John Grasty | 11 Aug 2011, 07:46 AM Agree 0
    This is a red-herring in BC!
    The data is already publicly available through the Land Title Office.
    Furthermore, information from the LTO is far more reliable than MLS® because it includes all the data for private sales and new homes.
  • John Grasty | 11 Aug 2011, 08:46 AM Agree 0
    This is a red-herring in BC!
    The data is already publicly available through the Land Title Office.
    Furthermore, information from the LTO is far more reliable than MLS® because it includes all the data for private sales and new homes.
Post a reply