Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

CREA should ban use of photoshop, agents argue

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 30 Jan 2014, 03:04 AM Agree 0

Real estate agents are calling on CREA to ban the use of photoshop on marketing materials as they argue that the creative process is adding to their workload.Frustrated buyers have recently been criticizing agents and sellers for touching up property images in a bid to generate interest.
“I believe something has to be done as it wastes time for both realtors and agents,” says Bill Morris from RE/MAX Home Dependable Service in Surrey, B.C. “Buyers do get very frustrated and disappointed that their expectations are not being met when they visit the property. It reflects badly on the sellers,” he tells CREW.
“I think each of the real estate boards should look at the practice and create some policies to prevent the use of photoshop. We need to stamp it out before it becomes commonplace.”
Some angry buyers are calling on more drastic steps, including the immediate revocation of a realtor’s licence.

Related Articles: No photoshopping required.
  • Ed Novak | 30 Jan 2014, 03:09 PM Agree 0
    Who is complaining about Photoshop? The agents who don't know how to use various tools to sell a property? As long as the "touch-ups" don't misrepresent a property, I see nothing wrong with it. Very often we are forced to take photos in poor conditions. In this case I have to take steps to improve the image. I also see nothing wrong with virtual staging. If you start controlling the creative process of marketing a property, where do you stop? Do you prohibit physical staging? Do you prohibit the use of wide angle lenses? Do you prohibit aerial shots because another agent can't afford it? Do you prohibit the a simple thing like cropping?

I say, people lighten up! We have enough advertising rules that no one enforces. Thanks RECO!
  • Rob Holowka | 04 Feb 2014, 09:58 AM Agree 0
    This article is useless... do you even know what photoshopping is? Is it the removal of unwanted articles? Alteration of colours?.. Heck why don't you say that post processing should be banned.. do you even know what that is? Heck why don't you say that agents should only be allowed to use a blackberry 8800... like most of the shitty images out there!..

A more compelling article would be "Agents should be banned for using shitty pictures"

“Sellers do get very frustrated and disappointed that their expectations are not being met when they view their property online and the pictures look horrible. It reflects badly on the realtor,” he tells CREW.
  • John Burke | 07 Feb 2014, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    As a Photoshop person as well as a Realtor, I constantly cleanup poor images for agents. Generally it involves bad lightening which is a relatively easy fix in Photoshop, but removing things is a big NO NO.

Photoshop should only be used to fix bad camera jobs.
    Just because your phone has a built in camera, does not make you a photographer.

Check MLS and you will see an abundance of bad photography, that most likely have been taken by the agent with their phone! An 8 mega pixel camera phone image is not equivilent to my Canon camera. That is why my camera costs 3 times the cost of your phone, and I can't use my camera to make phone calls!

There should be a course requirement to get your license, teaching you all about Realtor Photography.

Just my humble opinion
Post a reply