Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Daily Market Update

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 26 Jan 2015, 07:29 AM Agree 0
Sales plunge and prices fall in Calgary… Experts don’t see lower interest rates increasing household debt … US existing home sales rise…
  • LF in Toronto | 26 Jan 2015, 09:41 AM Agree 0
    What a negative-biased, article! Holly-molly people, its the law of suppy and demand. In a case like the Calgary R/E market, there were fewer homes that were listed than this year, once you increase the quantity of homes on the market the free-market will decide valuation!

So there was an increase of active listings by 75% yet median sold price only decreased by .6% that looks to me like the Calgary market has built up steam if they can support the increase in additional listings.

Who writes these things???
  • David Betty in Caledon | 26 Jan 2015, 10:24 AM Agree 0
    The article could have provided additional stats, such as the average and median marketing times, the average and median list prices and average list to selling price for the periods (i.e., YoY and MoM). This would have been helpful in providing some early indications of how the market is being in affected by the uncertainty in the Calgary economy given the downturn in the oil sector. The article also failed to recognize that in addition to waiting for an adjustment in the price of homes, buyers may also be waiting to see if the banks are going to reduce their mortgage rates in response to the Central Bank's reduction in its overnight lending rate.
  • b. gonewit | 26 Jan 2015, 12:45 PM Agree 0
    yes - this what happens in a capitalistic democratic islamist free economy - enjoy it
  • Robert Harrington | 26 Jan 2015, 09:35 PM Agree 0
    You guys are still using the airy fairy MLS stats, the Listing service that still thinks it is a monopoly and follows George Orwells 1984 playbook perfectly right down to the "Group Think."
    Think anything differently than the group and you get a letter and a fine for making "Disparaging Remarks about Real Estate."

This is the same descredited organization with only 50 to 70 percent of the market, that cooks it's stats regularly by showning new listings that are not, and is strongly suspected of "pumping up the volume" by including new home sales numbers in their resale home numbers from their secret "Technically in Compliance" new developer sales that masguarade as NON-REALTOR(r) FSBO's when they are not.

There are NO figures from the Realtor Brand part of this industry that should ever be published as facts.
  • jill lubinski | 29 Jan 2015, 06:04 PM Agree 0
    I want to know how you can even talk about January numbers when the MLS results for the month are not even out yet. To compare one week or one day on a year over year basis is misleading….but then again, "if it bleeds, it leads"!!
Post a reply