Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Drones: Are they worth the investment?

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 09 Dec 2014, 08:12 AM Agree 0
Real estate professionals are increasingly using small, commercial drones to size up a property -- should investors follow their lead?
  • Chantel - Windsor | 09 Dec 2014, 10:32 AM Agree 0
    Excellent story. Drones are the way to GO!
  • DianneB | 11 Dec 2014, 11:38 AM Agree 0
    I can see the benefit of drones if I did more commercial or rural real estate. It’s what virtual tours were years ago and is especially helpful for out of town buyers. It is becoming popular for luxury listings as well. But clearly the use of drones will need to be regulated because of privacy and safety issues. We're already hearing negativity from consumers so that'll have to be addressed.
  • Todd | 11 Dec 2014, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    Using drones to enable a buyer to get a 360-degree view, different day/light aspects of a unit, even nearby (birds eye) amenities would be beneficial. I think that some realtors will choose to use drones as a tool to leverage their listings. Drones that are linked to smart phones to deliver ‘special/private flight tours' can serve as a great form of interruption/personal marketing to buyers if targeted correctly.
  • Kurt N | 12 Dec 2014, 05:01 PM Agree 0
    You cannot use drones in Canada commercially (and anything that may make a dime is commercial) unless you have an SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) from Transport Canada. You you will not get a certificate if you intend to use the drone in any built up area. To actually get an SFOC you have to jump through a lot of hoops.......Any infraction can cost your company 25K and you a further 5K......Have fun.
  • Name Withheld | 12 Dec 2014, 05:08 PM Agree 0
    The problem in Canada is that any commercial use of a drone requires a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) from Transport Canada. I have 3 drones and I have tried to get permission to use them, but they keep upping the stakes, and the process is so unclear as to be incomprehensible. There is no application form. You make one up, and then they tell you it does not address a number of requirements that they never mentioned before. The latest for me is that I not only need a flight crew (one person to watch the surroundings for issues as I do the flying) but my wife might not be qualified since doing that job requires extensive training. They also say I need to have liability insurance, but when I ask how much, there is no reply and no further information. Transport Canada is totally overwhelmed by this innovation and unprepared to deal with it, so if you want to do this legally ... be prepared for a long wait. It's not by accident that one company is offering to do the work of getting an SFOC for you, for $1300 CDN, per flight, with no guarantee that the application will be successful. My observation is that it's really easy to get a license to drive a boat (15 minutes study and a test), a bit more difficult to get a driver's license, but if you want to lift your drone 3 inches off the ground for any commercial purpose, they put you though more paperwork than you can imagine. Each of my applications has been more than 13 pages long. The bottom line is ... flying a drone is great .. do it responsibly for enjoyment. Don't count on ever getting permission to fly it for real estate use.
  • Phil C | 12 Dec 2014, 08:34 PM Agree 0
    the Drone concept is very frightening to those of us who fly aircraft and will be sharing the sky with these hazards. Strict enforcement of regulations is critically important - lives are at stake. It is only a matter of time before the occurrence of a drone\aircraft mid air collision...
  • | 13 Dec 2014, 11:29 AM Agree 0
    Really Phil,
    If your flying your plane 50 feet over homes, at which most drones wouldn't exceed then your an idiot and flying against regulations.
    Canada should get their head out of their ass and get with the times. It would be pretty easy to make certain requirements to operate a drone for real estate purposes and get the ball rolling to make life easier for Realtors that are willing to offer their clients more services.
  • Matt | 13 Dec 2014, 01:12 PM Agree 0
    If capturing footage to make a YouTube video was considered "commercial", a very large portion of YouTube would be taken down. "Commercial" is no more defined than half the other silly regulations they're trying to enforce. Privacy? Really? Look at the world we live in, with every phone having a camera taking high quality pictures and video. Have you heard these drones? They're not exactly stealthy...there's no way you're going to fly one without everybody around hearing it.

The issue is that government is unprepared for the advancing technology, and don't know how to deal with it, or the plethora of ridiculous made up complaints coming from people with no real experience with them.
  • Bezon | 15 Dec 2014, 05:44 AM Agree 0
    I feel drone industry and emergent technology will shake out into three areas. Mainly Package and cargo delivery, Aerial observation & imaging purpose.
  • I fly RC | 20 Jan 2015, 11:16 AM Agree 0
    For more clarity, please see an RC(Radio Control) club rules and regulations. Flying any object through radio control is inherantly a dangerous operation. All clubs are required to follow strict rules of operation, to allow for safe enjoyment of this hobby. Insurance is mandatory for any flight or event. Flying over a home or area where people are randomly present, and could be struck would be deemed an unsafe operation or flight. Will it take a child or person being killed before the ramification of flying objects is taken seriously? Work the math, a 4 lb model, striking an individual at 40- 60 mph will result in serious and significant damage.
  • Moment of Levity | 22 Jan 2015, 08:29 AM Agree 0
    Transport Canada can go fly a kite.
Post a reply