Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

For-sale-by owner site adds extra value

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 16 Jul 2013, 10:56 PM Agree 0
  • Angela M | 25 Jul 2013, 03:49 AM Agree 0
    I would absolutely LOVE one of these "agents" to pick up my expenses for a year and then tell me how we charge outrageous commissions. This company is in the business to make money. Commissions can be negotiated. This is a popular misconception that is continually perpetuated by companies such as this.
    Having proper resources, access to the best knowledge and current market conditions is critical. A good negotiator is worth their weight! There is so much more that a Realtor offers than what you may actually see. And a lot of continuing education courses (which we pay for) as well as constant interaction within our local market. There are a good many of us who work tirelessly to do the best job possible for our clients. Relocations, assisting with schools, arranging financing, providing an endless number of hours being available to their clients. Commission is part of the equation of course but having someone work for you to bring about a smooth and successful transaction that's mutually satisfying to both buyer and seller is often a very trying endeavor .
  • Barb Taylor | 25 Jul 2013, 09:03 PM Agree 0
    This whole commission thing is like a thorn in my side. There was a time that I didn't even think of the commission because I took such joy from helping my clients find the right home. The money on closing was the " bonus". Every time I hear that one of my many friends/sales associates has discounted their commission I get mad. They are setting the pace for everyone who wants to remain in the business. I doubt they've ever considered the time they spend holding a client's hand or clearing up the "details" of a transaction. If they considered an hourly rate for their time then maybe they'd reconsider. Time is money and money is time. In my opinion they are "purchasing" their listings rather than thinking of helping clients and providing excellent service. What about the discount brokers that don't do anything for the clients. We're all painted with the same brush. The unprofessional Feature Sheets, not doing Open Houses, Not Showing the property, Not negotiating the deal and not providing the follow up service that we oldies provide without thinking. My biggest objection is that the general public paint all of us with the same brush. Much like lawyers - who likes realtors??? Just a quick calculation and for the record - we make 25 cents on the dollar. 25% goes to the cost of doing business, 25% goes to the Tax Office, 25% goes to the Broker that we can't work without and 25% to us. Hey people out there - do hairdressers, doctors, lawyers and many more professionals discount their services? The answer is - NO! As a real estate professional who has been in the business for over 25 years all those hot shot realtors aren't thinking about the future and not protecting fees for service.
  • carol | 26 Jul 2013, 12:21 AM Agree 0
    They tried and failed in Edmonton-------packed there bags and are outta here--------
  • Pat Parker | 26 Jul 2013, 10:52 PM Agree 0
    I have seen them come and I've watched them go. When the market get's tough people are more interested in getting the place sold rather than arguing about a hypothetical fee on closing. The client needs to set a bottom dollar in their pocket they will accept and then go out and market the property. The fee is incidental to the objective
  • JR | 29 Jul 2013, 11:55 PM Agree 0
    Worked with them and our agent had to race around and get things straightened out because their 'service' was of no service to them. That put us at risk. If it wasn't for my agent, getting things straightened out ...we'd be in court because they wouldn't have been able to close on time. That's our expenses, mortgage bridging expenses, moving expenses, hotel expenses, utility company mix ups...and the list goes on.

You get what you pay for, no service, no heads up when things are going sideways and that leaves you in a grand position for litigation. If your home affects the sale of another home, (the buyers home) and you don't close because you don't know what you're doing...be prepared to pay more than the commission when you get to court. Silly cheap fools with no foresight and no concept that their purchase affects others and they put everyone else at risk. Get a good agent.
  • Mary Axiots | 09 Aug 2013, 09:57 PM Agree 0
    I honestly believe that we should change the adjective "commission" to Service Fee because that is what we provide....service. Commission sounds like a dirty word.
Post a reply