Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

How to sell a home leading up to the holidays

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 11 Nov 2015, 10:02 AM Agree 0
Although listing a home too close to Christmas isn’t ideal in many cases, Dustin Graham explains how it can be done properly.
  • Carol Martin | 19 Jul 2016, 08:23 AM Agree 0
    Thank you for the information.
    It is really very helpful.
  • Lucielle Ralle | 08 Sep 2016, 10:24 AM Agree 0
    I identify very strongly with this letter. When my husband and I tried to sell our beautiful 18th Century farmhouse in St. Jacob’s County, we were faced with a string of realtors who were unable to comprehend the beauty of the place, or how valuable its surrounding acreage was (equipped with natural fruit trees and hiking trails). However, its unique offerings were apparent to everyone we spoke with outside of the industry. Located off on a gravel side road, it lacked that traditional sense of proximity to transportation and retail - but that was exactly why we had purchased it in the first place. By listing our home on Prelist.org, we were able to communicate directly with other homebuyers and show them what had bewitched us. Without the opportunity to present our home in its best light, it never would have sold at the price it did. Thanks Prelist! I’d highly recommend it to anyone with a lifestyle property.
  • Julia Winters | 08 Sep 2016, 10:25 AM Agree 0
    Last year I experienced this challenge myself. Partially by luck and partially through trial and error, I managed to find little tricks like the ones outlined here to help the house show better. We added wreaths to all the doors, lit baking themed candles, and put soft and fluffy blankets everywhere. I know it sounds cliché, but it truly delivered on creating the atmosphere I needed. It was such a short- notice affair I used Prelist.org rather than a realtor, something which I would definitely recommend! It’s a site that lets you sell your own home yourself by connecting you with buyers. I was not only able to present my home in its best light, but avoid fees for involving a third party. It can take a great deal of luck to sell it that quickly, but the process was incredibly simple. I plan to use it again the next time I have to move – but hopefully not for awhile!
  • Mark | 21 Sep 2016, 12:54 PM Agree 0
    That's interesting! I just checked out that Prelist site and noticed that the site was free to use. I called the 1800 number to make sure the service was really free, and an actual person picked up the phone. I was not expecting that. Are there any other sites you recommend that are free to use to help promote my house. I also want to trying selling it myself
    Thanks
  • Phil Kasurak | 22 Nov 2016, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    A previous comment stated that she identified strongly with the letter (article). However, the comment is a blatant promotion for a sell your own home web site. It contains nothing about the elements of the article that she so strongly identified with. Yes it is indeed possible to sell your own property. With that said there is no question that the vast majority of those trying to sell their own property will eventually list with a Realtor in order to sell. Realtor.ca is the preeminent site that buyers use to find a property. The numbers are not even close. Furthermore it is well known that private sellers on the average obtain a sale price substantially less than those sold through a Realtor. In fact that percentage is greater than the 5% commission that a full service broker would charge. It only stands to reason, particularly in hot markets that the majority of motivated buyers are working with Realtors. A private seller is usually not equipped to orchestrate or handle a multiple offer or situation that would create bidding up the price. Nor is a private seller equipped to follow up with buyer's lenders, home inspectors and those ancillary professionals that are critical to completing a transaction. In today's financial climate there are also considerations regarding money launderers whom look specifically for private sellers as there is no requirement for them to identify themselves. So my point is, while selling a property yourself may be possible it is also quite probable that you will be leaving money on the table while you are trying to save the Realtor's fee and you are exposing yourself to a host of issues with certain types of buyers that are looking for folks just like you.
Post a reply