Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Investor has a suggestion for government policy

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 17 Apr 2017, 08:15 AM Agree 0
With the government intent on cooling Toronto’s hot housing market, a number of potential measures have been suggested; one investor has an idea about the best way forward
  • Joe | 17 Apr 2017, 12:34 PM Agree 0
    The best is forensic buyers tax 20% and forbid "assignments " sell and increase lend transfer tax on investment property
  • M | 17 Apr 2017, 01:13 PM Agree 0
    Excellent idea to speed up planning applications and streamline zoning, and thus be more responsive to the market.

Bad idea to beat up on "foreigners" in the world's most racially diverse city, as if investment money somehow behaves differently according to where the investor originates from.
  • dave | 17 Apr 2017, 04:11 PM Agree 0
    People who are paying more than $5000 of the asking price; they must be asked to come-up with extra cash amount equivalent to their over-sold offer amount plus the regular mortgage down payment. This will ensure that people will stop offering over-asking price and all creative financing business will stop leading to cooling down of real-estate market.
    • Jes | 18 Apr 2017, 01:01 AM Agree 0
      The asking price is no indication of value. Whether the home is listed at fair market value or $1 does not change what the home is worth. While it looks to many people that buyers are overpaying for homes, the truth is that the value of the home is relative to however much the buyer wants to pay for it. I do agree that homes have gotten way too expensive and have become very unattainable for the majority of people. Hopefully there can be something done that doesn't leave many other people at disadvantage.
  • M | 18 Apr 2017, 02:40 AM Agree 0
    Trying to impose market-bucking bureaucracy is ultimately an exercise in futility; but politicians like to attempt it because it can be presented as a moralizing front for raising taxes, and a cloak to hide the mediocre record of some municipalities in processing planning releases for new properties. It's also gets the banks off the hook: rates of return from privately mortgageed investments can be many times higher than those of banks who often try to insist that contractors sell most of their units pre-construction at greatly lower rates of return, so of course banks will moralize against their competitors who offer far better rates of return; populist politicians see this as an opportunity to row behind the vested interests of banks, while seemingly making populist noises in favour of the aspiring homeowner, who is thereby duped to think that property is somehow valued at what the government bureaucrats will be conveniently pleased to say it worth rather than what the market - which in the long term cannot be bucked - says.
    It's a politicians' house of cards worthy of the misplaced moralizing of the Ontario Farmers' Government between the two World Wars.
  • Iris H. | 23 Apr 2017, 09:00 PM Agree 0
    In other countries with problems of housing affordability, they apply a DECENTRALIZATION measure. Almost everybody wants to leave in Toronto downtown because the core of Canada´s "financial" life is there. How about giving a special treatment (taxes, etc) to banks, different companies, etc. to settle their main offices in other cities away from Toronto? Many workers would go those cities to live close to the places where they work...
    • M | 27 Apr 2017, 04:30 AM Agree 0
      Why put the word 'financial' in inverted commas? and why would being at a physical distance from one's principal competitors and colleagues make workers with financial expertise more efficient and knowledgeable (qualities the buyer needs)?
  • Vancouverinvestor | 23 Apr 2017, 11:02 PM Agree 0
    As a residential investor in houses with suites I have done well, but am seriously contemplating getting out of this business due to the growing contempt for landlords in the media and politics. I take significant risk to provide shelter to dozens of people, but am portrayed as part of the problem. I will be moving my capital into industries with fewer regulations that hinder investment and growth.
    • M | 27 Apr 2017, 04:27 AM Agree 0
      In other words, I think you are saying that bueaucratic, moralizing politicians tend to shoot themselves in the foot; and when they drive away real estate investment they are proving that they are proud of their ignorance of how the capitalist system works.
  • Jeremy | 05 May 2017, 04:54 PM Agree 0

TREVI ORTA JOB OPENINGS/VACANCIES

1. Drivers - $1,000
    2. Advertising agents - $1,700
    3. Real estate experts/brokers - $2,100
    4. Marketing manager - $2,400
    5. Public relations agent - $2,300
    6. Staff accountants - $2,700
    7. Receptionists - $1,500. e.t.c.
    There are other vacant positions so interested people can apply via the company's
    application email on treviortaestateholdings@gmail.com. Application entries are now
    open.
Post a reply