Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is the concierge service dying?

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 26 Sep 2013, 02:36 AM Agree 0

The computer may have failed to replace all of the concierges, but condo owners are making them somewhat redundant as they seek less manning hours in exchange for reduced management fees.
Last year, condo development company Tridel launched a pilot virtual concierge service in one of its buildings for the evening time.  Jim Ritchie, Tridel’s vice president, said at that time that savings of almost $180,000 could be made by replacing on-site staff with a virtual offering across a number of buildings.
Other developments, such as The Berczy in downtown Toronto, only have a concierge service for eight hours a day to reduce costs for owners.
While this all may point to the death of the concierge, others believe the opposite is happening on the ground.
“I have been in 30 different condo buildings in last number of weeks and all of them had a concierge service so I don’t believe it is as bad as people make out,” says Jason Shaw from RE/MAX Ultimate Realty.
“The highest demographic of buyers is single women and they generally do prefer it for security reasons. While some buyers do not really care about the service, or use it, I do find that it is mostly this demographic that expressed more of an interest in it,” he says.
In terms of owner usage, Shaw says many condo residents like the idea of someone there as opposed to using them for assistance.
  • adam | 26 Sep 2013, 10:23 PM Agree 0
    I have been in 30 different condo buildings in last number of weeks and all of them had a concierge service so I don’t believe it is as bad as people make out,” says Jason Shaw from RE/MAX Ultimate Realty.

well jasaon, over the last few weeks i've seen a lot of drug addicts that aren't dead so i don't believe it is as bad as people make out.

thanks for the uselss comment Jason Shaw!
  • Iris Herrera | 27 Sep 2013, 03:44 AM Agree 0
    We have a 24 hour concierge in our building and I consider their service adds value to the condo. You have someone who helps you and assists you all day long. I love having them
  • Omer Quenneville | 27 Sep 2013, 12:41 PM Agree 0
    I’ve been to many buildings as well and I do see a scaling back of service and smart fully so. Buildings that use to have multiple attendants seem to be cutting back to one. Leaving the desk unattended during rounds. I do see this as a growing potential for sure given that concierge service can be an expensive portion of the condo fees.
  • Matt | 11 Jan 2014, 04:02 PM Agree 0
    I think their service is useless and I would rather have lower maintence fees.
Post a reply