Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landlords ... have you "renovicted" a tenant?

Notify me of new replies via email
Real estate Pat | 20 Mar 2015, 10:46 AM Agree 0
I've just heard this new term, "renoviction", and I'm wondering whether this is common practice among landlords? The naysayers are calling it a push-out tactic for getting rid of long-term tenants and raising the rent, but I'm sure most landlords won't agree... I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
  • Jon | 27 Mar 2015, 02:20 PM Agree 0
    Im assuming you mean the LL does major renos on a property causing the tenants to leave in order for the work to be done?

What most people don't know is, in Ontario if a landlord does major renos on a property and the tenant has to vacate while that work is being done, the landlord MUST offer that tenant the property again once the renos are complete. AND the landlord can NOT significantly raise the rent for that tenant. In fact any increase above the miniscule annual allowable increase must be first approved by the landlord and tenant board.
Post a reply