Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landlords divided over Hydro smart meters

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 18 Jun 2015, 12:15 PM Agree 0
A battle between a landlord and a hydro company has heightened concerns about Hydro’s smart meters and the inconsistent readings, as well as possible health risk, plaguing some customers.
  • Gina McLean | 18 Jun 2015, 02:18 PM Agree 0
    I find this quite interesting as I have often wondered about the accuracy of our "smart meter".

We have a townhouse is Invermere, B.C. that is vacant quite often, especially in the winter.
    Our usage fluctuates when we're not there with the thermostat set at 15.

Any time I have called B.C. Hydro they tell me I have to prove that the reading is wrong?!
    It's vacant! The usage shouldn't change much at all!
    It would have to be quite cold outside to get the inside temp "back up" to 15C I would think?

We have the same bills as our neighbours that live there?!

If anyone else has some insight in to this I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Gina McLean
  • JMaxwell | 18 Jun 2015, 02:20 PM Agree 0
    Gina, email me. Jordan.maxwell@kmimedia.ca
  • | 25 Jun 2015, 08:56 PM Agree 0
    http://www.electrosmogprevention.org/stop-ca-smart-meter-news/santa-cruz-county-health-dept-health-effects-of-smart-meters/

Santa Cruz County, CA Board of Supervisors directed its public health officer to prepare an analysis of the research on the health effects of Smart Meters in December 2011. Poki Stewart Namkung, M.D. M.P.H., prepared this report: Health Risks Associated With SmartMeters which recognizes:

Smart Meters transmit pulsed radiation (RF) 24/7
    There are evidence-based health risks of RF
    RF exposure can be cumulative and additive
    The massive increase in RF public exposures since the mid-1990’s
    The controversy between independent and industry science, including lack of funding for independent research
    Evidence to support an Electrical Sensitivity (EHS) diagnosis
    The public health issue is that Smart Meters are involuntary RF exposures
    FCC thermal guidelines are irrelevant for non-thermal public exposures.
    The lack of relevant safety standards for chronic pulsed RF
    The report summary calls for more government vigilance towards involuntary RF public exposures because, “…governmental agencies are the only defense against such involuntary exposure.”

The report also provides examples of strategies to reduce RF including minimize cell and cordless phone use, use speakerphone when possible, use wired internet connections, avoid setting a laptop on your lap, and more.

Excerpts: “The public health issue of concern in regard to SmartMeters is the involuntary exposure of individuals and households to electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation.”

“There are numerous situations in which the distance between the SmartMeters and humans is less than three feet on an ongoing basis, e.g. a SmartMeter mounted on the external wall to a bedroom with the bed placed adjacent to that mounting next to the internal wall. ”

“…SmartMeters emit frequencies almost continuously, day and night, seven days a week.”
  • | 25 Jun 2015, 08:58 PM Agree 0
    http://patch.com/california/lamesa/bp--living-nightmare-how-sdge-smart-meters-led-to-my-7c29f77fb5

One day in the middle of May 2010, SDG&E workers came to my La Mesa home to install a new meter for both my gas and electric service. They did the same for my neighbors. I remember their trucks and the boxes on the sidewalk. How quickly they did it and left. How we turned off our computer and TV to prevent a power surge.

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge, it is sometimes said.

I really didn't pay much attention to these installations, assuming that they were similar to the old ones, just digital. Boy, was I wrong. As an active, retired educator, I never expected that the challenge would come in the form of harmful radiation coming from these new utility "smart" meters installed by SDG&E. But that is just what has happened.

Please note that everyone in our county and throughout SDG&E's territory had these installed in the past year and a half, except for a handful of people. None of us were told of any risks.

Shortly after, when I began to have ringing ears and sleeplessness, I wondered why but kept thinking it would disappear. I'd hear ringing in my ears no matter what time of day. Even in the night, and it would be more apparent when it was quiet, it seemed.

At night, I'd wake up suddenly around 2:00 or 2:30 AM, the same time every night, wide awake, and have trouble getting back to sleep for several hours. Some nights I didn't sleep much at all, just a couple of hours.

This was also occuring to other members of the household, at times. There were peculiar symptoms that some of us experienced that we could not explain but was making life very complicated.

Last summer was a rough time as a result. There were some headaches. I spent time reading in my room, something I like to do to relax. By fall, things didn't get any better, but worse.

Add to the list, by October, a rapidly growing skin cancer on my face, looked like a largish pencil eraser, you could practically watch it grow ... and it hurt.

The doctors took a bit of time to schedule me in and removed it in January — cut it out, leaving a scar. By the end of November, I noticed in addition to the ringing ears and other symptoms, that I suddenly was extremely nauseous, dizzy, and developing headaches when I used my computer or cell phone.
Post a reply