Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landlords recoup investments faster through Airbnb, study says

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 06 Feb 2017, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Short-term rentals provide quicker investment returns in 74 of 75 cities
  • | 06 Feb 2017, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    This article is missing 3 important points:

1. It assumes 100% vacancy rate. From my experience airbnb rentals have substantially higher vacancy rates compared to traditional rentals. Airbnb is also very seasonal in most places, so rates and vacancy can have sharp drops in off season.

2. It does not take into account the cost of furnishing, upgrades, utilities, maintenance and management which is higher for airbnb (utilities are normally included).

3. The average sale and rental price noted in the article (at least in Vancouver) is the price of a 3 bedroom home for an entire area including areas where there is low demand for airbnb rentals, lower rental rates and lower purchase costs. On the other hand the average price for airbnb shown is heavily weighed by where airbnb is in demand. In areas where airbnb is in demand the purchase and rental price of a 3 bedroom in Vancouver is substantially higher. Comparing average price and average rent payback for a large metro area to average airbnb payback (which tend to concentrate in smaller more expensive areas of the city) is a bit misleading.
  • Alex | 07 Feb 2017, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    Good points. Also, since when are Montreal Airbnb rates so high? There's absolutely no way Vancouver and Toronto rates are lower than Montreal on average.
    • ammythomas849 | 08 Feb 2017, 12:30 AM Agree 0
      My mothers neighbour is working part time and averaging $9000 a month. I'm a single mum and just got my first paycheck for $6546! I still can't believe it. I tried it out cause I got really desperate and now I couldn't be happier. Heres what I do,

----------->>> www.newsnet20.com

• ammythomas849 | 08 Feb 2017, 12:31 AM Agree 0
    My mothers neighbour is working part time and averaging $9000 a month. I'm a single mum and just got my first paycheck for $6546! I still can't believe it. I tried it out cause I got really desperate and now I couldn't be happier. Heres what I do,

----------->>> www.centerpay70.com
Post a reply