Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landlords seek ban on Airbnb

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 24 Aug 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
An ongoing saga continues to make headlines as a group of landlords in Quebec ask the government to curb the growth of short-term rental services such as Airbnb
  • Francis Dryden | 24 Aug 2015, 01:34 PM Agree 0
    Airbnb owns no property... people advertise their properties on there. The whole world is supposed to operate without advertising their own property because some group of landlords in Quebec says so... if you can't stand the competition then learn to compete!
    • Vancouver Landlord | 24 Aug 2015, 01:50 PM Agree 1
      A dangerous thing happens when Landlords compete in that market. It's already happening in many cities. The rental stock is eaten up by AirBnB people. Some having 100 units that they rent and in tern sublet. It doesn't take much and then there is a shortage of market rent properties.

Cities have zoning regulations with hotels in specific places for a reason. Hotels also must remit taxes that go towards supporting tourism in a city. Hotel owners should be the ones upset about AirBnB. It disadvantages them.

We once had a tenant that sublet our unit on AirBnB. The damages to the unit were extensive. I now have a clause in all our rentals that requires explicit permission to sublet and I require the same level of scrutiny in a sublet as I apply in my original rental. That means among other things, a credit check on the occupant and a minimum 6 month lease.

AirBnB externalizes the cost of damages and tax loss, plus it's spits in the face of city planning. Any of our 40 units found on AirBnB will result in eviction and a legal action. As a landlord, I will not tolerate this sort of nonsense.
    • Craig Chivers | 13 Nov 2015, 02:48 PM Agree 0
      HI Vancouver Landlord,
      My name is Craig Chivers and I work for CBC news in Toronto. I am researching a story on Air BnB and would like to chat with you with respect to your first comment here. How would the rental stock be eaten up?
      Cheers
  • Don | 24 Aug 2015, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    The issue for the landlord is liability. If his tenant posts the place on airbnb when he is away for the weekend and some other yahoo's come in trash the place or cause injury to themselves or to others in the building, the landlord can be liable, and his insurance company can hold him accountable for not knowing....and good luck to the landlord if he thinks he will be able to sue the tenants (who typically own nothing!)
  • Call to Action BC Landlords | 24 Aug 2015, 05:26 PM Agree 0
    more rights need to go to landlords
    and more responsibility to the tenant, especially when it comes to responsibility for their actions.

In BC the tenancy act and regulations favor the tenant and place all the obligation and responsibility on the landlord.
    Its at a critical point which makes the investor really question if its really worth the cost/headache as the lengthy hoops a landlord is put through just to get rent and payment for damages is beyond ridiculous. Especially if after the months of hearings/small claims court/supreme court hearings and expenses all go to vain as either the tenant disappears and or there is no legal enforcement available.

Good luck in collecting any monies for lost rent/damages even with a court order.
    These orders are useless without immediate enforcement or garnishment on tenant's wages or possessions.
    And then again, if the said tenant disappears there's no way to collect as they certainly don't leave a forwarding address.....
  • Jeff | 26 Aug 2015, 08:07 PM Agree 0
    The problem isn't really AirBNB, it's just a advertising service...much like Kijiji, Craig's List, VRBO or homeAway. If the property isn't zoned appropriately for short term rentals, then who is handling the rental? Not AirBnB...but the owner or tenant who is subletting it.
  • renter | 03 Oct 2015, 08:47 AM Agree 0
    I've hosted on air bnb, there's nothing against subletting in my lease. I am Herr the entire duration of the guest's visit and the effective review system works.....no Yahoo's.
  • renter | 03 Oct 2015, 09:07 AM Agree 0
    Tenancy law tries to make inherent power dynamic imbalance more equal. Landlords have the power of shelter. There are horrible tenants and horrible landlords but landlords have more power.
  • DonataLing@ScaminginToronto | 25 Oct 2015, 04:28 AM Agree 0
    Our tenant refuses to stop renting out her room on Airbnb. We've asked her 3 times to stop. She never asked permission and the other roommates are complaining with good reason about strangers in the house. The court will hear the case and she will hopefully have to pay any income that was received for the unauthorized occupancies. However, there are so many loopholes in the Ontario Act that I'm not confident that we will be able to see this case through to justice.

I can't believe the selfish profiteering at other people's expense and safety. Even when a tenant is explicitly told that subletting is not permitted, there is not a lot of recourse based on the current laws. The tenants could technically continue this activity for months before a court even hears our case and she is evicted.
Post a reply