Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landlords: We lose with meagre minimum wage hike

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 05 Sep 2013, 08:55 AM Agree 0
  • Edwin | 05 Sep 2013, 09:45 PM Agree 0
    Maybe the 129400 workers in Calgary making less than $15 an hour are not worth anything more.
  • Business Sense | 05 Sep 2013, 09:54 PM Agree 0
    $15 dollars an hour sounds wonderful. Employers will need to raise prices to cover this increase. Raising prices will simply decrease many consumers purchasing power which will impact the business future. Two things need to happen that would contribute to an overall healthier economy.

Financial responsibility for both Business and Consumers.

1. Proper budgeting is the answer for individuals that are feeling the pinch. STOP GOING IN DEBT. Spend less then what you make. Easier said than done, but this needs to happen for things to change.

2. Business - STOP Gouging the consumers!! - Business need to understand that they cannot keep making record profits year after year. Eventually their will be price ceilings for the products or services offered and the only way to keep the profits high are to make CUTS. Cuts on the labor force and on the products quality. Instead try a "Reasonable Profit Approach" Make Profit, its GOOD. Just do so in a way that makes sense.

This model only works in the long run if everyone participates.

There is a better way to live.
  • Nick Ring | 06 Sep 2013, 10:37 PM Agree 0
    If all you had to do to raise the prosperity of people was raise the minimum wage then why don't we just raise it to $100 per hour? Then everybody can be rich right?

I personally do not think the government has any right at all to step in between an agreement between business owner and worker at all.... Why should the government decide for the worker what he is willing to work for? What if the worker doesn't the price he or she works for? Shouldn't that be up to them?

People act like the minimum wage is a noble cause started by bureaucrats to help the poor lift themselves out of poverty but nothing could be further from the truth....

The real reason that the minimum wage was started was from white labour unions wanting to charge more for their services but couldn't because the black people were doing the same types of jobs for half the price... The white unions needed a minimum wage installed so that they could not undercut by black labor and this was the original purpose of the minimum wage act....

There was nothing noble about its origins and there is nothing noble about it now, all it does is harm to an economy, there is no benefits....

Ablolish it entirely...
  • adam | 10 Sep 2013, 12:34 AM Agree 0
    i really don't get this article.. maybe it should be called 'why landlords are gready'????

just because minimum wage goes up, doesn't mean it is a grean light to charge people more. i was hoping that the article was going to mention how a landlords cost go up and that is why they need to raise rent.

why doesn't every other service or retail provided raise their prices when minimum wage goes up?

i really don't get the point of some of these articles.
Post a reply