Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Majority of investors set to increase U.S. investment in 2012

Notify me of new replies via email
guest | 24 Feb 2012, 05:36 PM Agree 0

A survey by Association of Foreign Investors in Real Estate (AFIRE) found 60% of respondents, with a combined $338 billion invested in the U.S., plan to increase their investment in the country this year.
Low home prices and a view that the economy will eventually show some recovery were among the key reasons, said Ray Withers, chief executive with Property Frontiers, a property investment agency.
“In real terms, property prices in the USA today are back to where they were around the turn of the millennium, with prices in some states up to 70% below their 2006 peak and around 50% of current rebuild cost,” said Withers.
He cited the credit freeze for the property price crash in the U.S., but noted investors who have gotten in are finding the rental market “booming.” Recent figures have shown rental demand up, including a drop in the national apartment vacancy rate from 5.6% to 5.2% between the third and fourth quarters of 2011, according to Reis.
“Properties even in good areas can be acquired at huge discounts if you have the right contacts, but this window of opportunity wont’ be open forever,” said Withers. “Increasing investor activity within the foreclosure market is already starting to stabilize prices, and in some instances, even rise.”
On a national scale, however, prices have shown generally no upward movement recently in most major cities.
  • carl_mueller | 28 Feb 2012, 06:26 PM Agree 0
    I just read an article that shows that U.S. home prices are at lows following a December drop in prices and that home prices dropped 1.1% on average during that month. Only Phoenix and Miami saw increases.
  • John Goldsworthy | 28 Feb 2012, 06:27 PM Agree 0
    Being a US Citizen and Realtor. I am pleased to see that Canadians are talking advantage of our over supply issues in the US housing markets.

I work exclusively with Candian's as well on purchasing resort homes in Florida and the Caribbean where prices have dropped even more than the avg US and NO TAXES!
    One project in the Bahamas next to Sandals is selling like crazy at prices over 60% of where they were. Another property is selling beach front for 165,000 US. Great times to buy in The Bahamas
Post a reply