Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

New agent review site to shake up market

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 06 Jan 2014, 10:54 PM Agree 0

Real estate agents are waiting for the negative reviews and want to address them. That is the view of real estate agent and investor Riti Verma who launched a new agent rating site this week,“With so many agents, it is often hard for clients to know who is good and bad. If it’s a bad service, they want to voice that,” she tells CREW. “Agents need to hear that feedback, both positive and negative, to help their own service offering. I believe this will help all parties and the industry as a whole.”
The launch of comes just months after the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) defeated the motion for a similar Rate your Realtor online service.
Verma argues that unlike other rating sites, a reviewer monitors each client evaluation. "Any flagged reviews require user follow-up to ensure that the user did have an actual transaction and experience working with the agent. This ensures truly factual and unbiased reviews," she says.
Recently reviewed on the site, Melissa Hole from Royal LePage Westwin Realty in B.C., says most agents embrace online comments and willing to address all concerns that old and new clients may have.
“There is a lot of misinformation online, especially when it comes to service providers. We are not basing reviews on one-time meetings or second hand opinions,” adds Verma. “Buyers are and need to be more aware of who they are dealing with now, they cannot afford to take a chance with agents.”Recently reviewed on the site, Melissa Hole from Royal LePage Westwin Realty in B.C., says most agents embrace online comments and willing to address all concerns that old and new clients may have.
  • Corey McEwen | 07 Jan 2014, 04:04 PM Agree 0
    I think this will be a fabulous tool for the great agents, and look forward to all my clients giving me reviews. Great for if you meet a stranger, I can refer them to this (other than my website). Keeping the site integral and promotion of it will be the greatest factor on if it will be effective.
  • Len Visser | 07 Jan 2014, 06:29 PM Agree 0
    Any praise or complaint will be only one side of the storey and therefore only half believable. Is there going to be a "rate the client" site along with this? Now, that would be interesting.
  • Ann Hayes | 08 Jan 2014, 06:17 AM Agree 0
    It would appear that this website is expecting it's revenue stream to come from realtors who pay to be featured. I'm not sure how impartial it can be if it is accepting payment (up to $49/month) from those it is rating.
  • Bryan Jaskolka | 08 Jan 2014, 08:04 AM Agree 0
    I love this idea, and I love that it was an agent that thought of doing it. Too often real estate agents are all painted with the same brush, as people who just want to make their big commission regardless of the client's wants and needs. Of course they want to hear about areas that need improvement too, it's just good business. Kudos to Verma for getting it done, and to CREM, for spreading the word!
  • Ed Novak | 08 Jan 2014, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    Typically people rush to voice their displeasure, not satisfaction. Therefore, if you are a good, professional and dedicated professional, you might not be rated and thus unknown to the general public. If you are a screw up, you might be tops on Google. That means this service is there to identify ONLY the bad agents. Somehow that's just not right. What if you are good, the client is a disaster and you decide to drop them? Then this client goes and posts negative comments about you. All of a sudden your rating is crap and unless you check this site (or pay them), then you are screwed. Keep in mind, people read comments, not rebuttals.
  • Robert Harrington | 08 Jan 2014, 05:26 PM Agree 0
    Great plan. Now real estate transaction customers will know who offers self serve "lock box" listing service and who gives full listing service and actually shows up to the customers home to meet the Buyer and Buyer's agent so as to answer any questions and also have a contract with him/her so as to be in position to SELL the property, instead of just being on side while the Buyer's Agent "SHOWS" the property.

I know. Selling homes versus showing homes. What a strange concept.
  • po | 10 Jan 2014, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    If a good agent can't get clients to post postive feedback on a site like.... maybe the agent isn't as good as he/she thinks.

We recently went through a renovation and posted positive feed back for the contractors that we had good experiences with. Sadly, we didn't post negative comments (yet) as we're still trying to get a couple guys to fix things that weren't done right and are worried that if they see our negative comments they'll definatley not fix their mistakes.

Focus on providing good service and everything else should work out just fine.
  • Tina | 12 Jan 2014, 05:25 PM Agree 0
    Typically people rush to voice their displeasure, not satisfaction.
    I know 2 great agent who are not rated very well. Would I do business with them? Definitely Yes.
  • Ed Novak | 13 Jan 2014, 12:40 PM Agree 0
    87% of people read reviews. 1% actually posts reviews. The only people who post reviews, are the ones who want to voice their dissatisfaction. If you read good reviews, then you know they were posted by friends and family of the subject person. Waste of time and I would not support this site by advertising there
  • Lance | 13 Jan 2014, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    Sounds a good idea on the surface, but as noted by others, there's problems with it. All us mortgage agents have been caught between complaining clients/realtors and often can't tell which is the problem, or possibly both, or if they simply didn't click and resort to bashing each other. And as a landlord, I've come to learn from considerable experience that those that complain the most, tend to be the problem, but simply blame it on others. Often their expectations are not realistic. Often, they have minor psych problems. How will we tell which complainants are reasonable folks with a legitimate beef, and which are psychos?
  • Ashay | 20 Jan 2014, 02:59 PM Agree 0
    Dear Lance,

Thank you for your comment and feedback. We do agree with you - there will always be a small group of people who can be unreasonable.
    But they are not our focus.

What we do focus on is linking buyers and sellers with reputable agents in their chosen area. At, we are committed to providing authentic and credible information for our users. Also, we have put quality control processes in place to monitor and thoroughly investigate our content - especially where it may have been flagged as inappropriate.
  • liz | 22 Jan 2014, 09:17 PM Agree 0
    Has anyone ever used trip advisor?... i don't think the only people posting reviews are naysayers... I personally have posted many more positive reviews than negative. If a property or restaurant has multiple reviews vice only one... surely people can put that in perspective. Having moved across country several times and used multiple agents, I would love to have the opportunity to rate them... good and bad. Mostly good but one was very bad. I'd like others to know and to be able to give feedback to those who were bad. And I am about to move to a new and much bigger city and don't know where to start looking for an agent.
Post a reply