Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

No photoshopping required

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 21 Jan 2014, 06:01 AM Agree 0

Home sellers should not follow the trend of photoshopping their property images in a bid to lure interested parties, or they will turn buyers off for good.
That is the advice of real estate agents who have been called into the ‘Mississauga Mansion’ debate that ignited over the weekend. Critics have questioned the authenticity of the images used to promote the 18,000 sq. ft. Ontario mansion that will go for auction on January 26. The property was once valued at $11 million, but is expected to fetch around $5.5 million.
“Most buyers look at pictures online before deciding on viewing a property and no one makes a purchasing decision based purely on images. Buyers hate having their time wasted and especially when they believe they are being fooled or deceived,” says Sheetal Sidhu, sales representative with RE/MAX Real Estate Centre in Brampton.
“Obviously you want the best images of your property to create the best impression, and we always use or advise others to use professional photographers," she tells CREW. "It is worth spending more time cleaning up a property and spending the cash on marketing material than photoshopping."
  • Steve Sedgwick | 22 Jan 2014, 03:14 PM Agree 0
    The only photo editing we do is to ensure a balanced lighting and contrast to the image. Extensive photo editing could even be labelled as misrepresentation by some.
    We've been accused of taking exceptionally good pictures by people that come to an open house and the reality doesn't live up to the expectation. Lol!
    Buyers are becoming more aware of the "tricks" some agents employ in their marketing efforts. We just choose to represent properties fairly and accurately so nobody has their time wasted looking at something they otherwise wouldn't have picked.
  • Robert S. | 22 Jan 2014, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    I think to tar all agents with the same brush used to accuse one agent is totally unfair. As the writer above the only "touchup" we might do is lighten darken or adjust contrast. Any more is misrepresentation.
  • Rick Allenberg | 22 Jan 2014, 04:10 PM Agree 0
    Photo editing should be banned 100%. It misrepresentation at best, fraudulent at worst. A Realtor is going to get sued because the scope of misrepresentation is limitless. Just a matter of time.
  • Rick Allenberg | 22 Jan 2014, 04:10 PM Agree 0
    Photo editing should be banned 100%. It misrepresentation at best, fraudulent at worst. A Realtor is going to get sued because the scope of misrepresentation is limitless. Just a matter of time.
  • Bill Morris | 24 Jan 2014, 10:07 PM Agree 0
    Photoshopping should be banned by the CREA. I hate wasting my clients time, let alone my own, showing homes that you have to check the address twice to make sure you are at the right place. It does not even resemble the pictures. Do they really think that' is marketing? Criminal maybe a deception absolutely.
  • Bill Morris | 24 Jan 2014, 10:07 PM Agree 0
    Photoshopping should be banned by the CREA. I hate wasting my clients time, let alone my own, showing homes that you have to check the address twice to make sure you are at the right place. It does not even resemble the pictures. Do they really think that' is marketing? Criminal maybe a deception absolutely.
Post a reply