Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Pets

Notify me of new replies via email
propertyguru | 13 Sep 2016, 11:04 AM Agree 0
I know the Landlord Tenant Act allows tenants to have pets. However due to severe cat allergies I have a no pet policy in my lease. (I know this means nothing) One of my tenants has moved a pet into the property..specifically a cat. I found out by seeing it in the window while I was having a new garage door installed.
The issue for me is that I am severely allergic to cats. So now I cannot enter my own property. It is a 2 unit dwelling with a shared heating system so now all that pet dander will be circulating throughout the property. One unit has carpeting so that will need a deep clean when the tenants move out. Now when my tenant/student moves out I cannot show the property to re-rent because I cannot enter the building.
My tenant states that he/she needs the pet due to his/her anxiety issues.
Are there any options? Its hard to believe that I cannot enter my own house. That means I will have to hire a property manager for any issues that come up. Can I pass those costs onto the tenant? Does the tenant have any responsibilities?
Can I charge an additional cleaning fee if that is not covered in the current lease?
Post a reply