Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Property experts roar at Investor Forum Toronto

Notify me of new replies via email
guest | 01 May 2012, 05:14 PM Agree 0

Leading venture capitalist Bruce Croxon from the Dragons’ Den opened the event hosted by Canadian Real Estate Wealth. Offering more than just the inside story on the show, Croxon shared his own tale of fighting to establish the wildly successful LavaLife and his real estate investment portfolio.
Champion skier Cary Mullen opened day two of the Forum -- presented by gold sponsors Memphis Invest, EcoHouse Group, Steve Martel, Greybrook Realty Partners and Fortress Real Capital. The foreign real estate pro encouraged attendees to “lunge forward” and do whatever it takes to move their businesses to the next level.
Current landlords got timely advice on tenant screening from Marv Steier and on the eviction process from lawyer Mark Weisleder.
Weisleder’s top tip? If you have tenants whose circumstances have changed and they’re no longer able to keep up payments, don’t head straight for confrontation. Offer to pay their moving costs and to write off remaining debt if they move out by a certain time. Avoiding the time and cost of a hearing, and not having to go through the 90 day eviction process is a win for the landlord and for the tenant.
New investors listened avidly to Julie Broad discuss how to choose a first property, and to Tahani Aburaneh’s advice on how to avoid the seven most common mistakes.
The women were joined by Shanna McFarlane for the Powerful Women in Real Estate panel on Day Two.
The forum also included the 2012 Top Investor Awards on Saturday nightt, where Wolseley-based Myrna Dureau was named both Investor of the Year, and Inspirational Investor of the Year.
“It’s my first year investing so I’m honoured,” she told forum-goers. “It shows that it’s never too late to take a leap of faith and go for it.”
Other award winners are:•    Newcomer of the Year Susan White Livermore•    Inter-provincial Investor of the Year Peter Cheung•    Deal of the Year winner Hugo Lefebvre•    U.S.Investor of the Year Emil Kiriakos
The event closed with “The Great Debate” hosted by former Ontario PC-leader and current talk radio host John Tory capped the two-day event by providing a spirited look into Canada’s housing market and the potential for it to hit bubble territory.
Panellists David Franklin, Sean Frederick and John Tory discussed the Canadian market, telling attendees there is, in fact,  no average national market -- all trends are very much “local.”
  • Michael J | 02 May 2012, 12:07 AM Agree 0
    It was awesome speech, way to go Bruce!
  • Nav Chandhoke | 02 May 2012, 02:37 PM Agree 0
    I am glad to hear it was 100% Canadian content.
  • Property developers | 02 Sep 2013, 03:02 PM Agree 0
    Nice article about property experts roar
Post a reply