Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

RBC: Yes, slower market still ahead

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 15 Aug 2013, 12:29 PM Agree 0

"Given the lower levels of activity in the early months of 2013," reads the monthly housing report from RBC, released Thursday, "we expect home resales to show a small decline of about 2 per cent for the entire year."
Things won't improve next year, either, according to the report, suggesting higher interest rates expected in the bottom half of 2014 will exert downward pressure on the market and "keep annual resales relatively flat (-0.6 per cent)."
That picture isn't quite as rosy as the one many other analysts are painting given the near-10 per cent rise in home sales for July, relative to the year-ago period. The average Canadian home price also shot up 8.4 per cent from the same troubled month last year when Ottawa tightened up mortgage rules.
Still the slower market now being predicted by the country's largest bank is likely to benefit property investors on the hunt for new acquisitions as competition from other buyers falls.
But the RBC forecast assumes the Bank of Canada will move to raise interest rates in the near- to mid-term. That remains a big if given a sluggish economy and real uncertainty about whether the stimulus of rock-bottom rates can, in fact, be removed this year, or even next.
  • Neil Hamilton | 21 Aug 2013, 09:38 PM Agree 0
    ....just like the Maclean's article "The Bubble Has Burst" eh?

Yes, I'm a realtor, and yes, I guess I have an axe to grind but have you ever noticed how ALL the banking "experts", chief economists and all, regularly "revise" their forecasts when things don't go as they predicted?

I will simply keep working my practice and helping people who don't believe the "experts" but the people "on the street" who see what's going on day-to-day....
  • R. Allenberg | 22 Aug 2013, 07:55 PM Agree 0
    The experts are the people who try to ensure that the economy runs well. Our economy is managed in case you missed that subtle point. Often a prediction is an attempt to correct or warn of an impending problem. The Feds have been making changes to ensure that the housing market does not do a bubble bust, but realtors seam bound and determined to barrel on at break-neck speed to ensure a bust. Be warned the experts are trying to tell you something. Nothing continues upward forever!
Post a reply