Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Rent Evaders

Notify me of new replies via email
Nirvana65 | 12 Nov 2014, 04:02 PM Agree 0
Hi, I have a couple living in the basement of my house and they’ve been late on the rent for the past six months. What’s the best way to deal with this?
  • | 11 Dec 2014, 12:39 PM Agree 0
    That is too long after 3 days from rent due eviction process must start.
    if they don't have one month's rent today, how they be able to pay multiple months?
  • TJB | 16 Dec 2014, 10:03 AM Agree 0
    We usually give 5 days grace with a $25 late payment fee. The get an eviction notice at 15 days. I know it makes it hard when they are living in your basement, but they are taking advantage of your good nature. I am guessing the bank doesn't care about late rent received if you were late making your mortgage payment. Good Luck, I hope it works out.
  • dcw | 17 Jan 2015, 11:50 AM Agree 0
    give them an ultimatum. Pay on time or find something more affordable. Being firm on rent is a landlords first priority. You may have to bite the bitter pill and evict them if they dont heed your warning and make sure future tenants are financially resposible.
  • Jon | 16 Feb 2015, 05:36 PM Agree 0
    "Hi, I have a couple living in the basement of my house and they’ve been late on the rent for the past six months. What’s the best way to deal with this? "

That depends on where you live. If you are in Ontario, you will probably find it very difficult to evict them based on their late payments. The Ontario landlord tenant board is designed to keep tenants housed for as long as possible. The tenants also get free legal representation to fight evictions. Further, you have now accepted an established pattern of allowing late rent payments. It will be difficult to justify changing this payment pattern, since you have allowed it in the past.
  • Gerry | 04 Mar 2015, 12:46 AM Agree 0
    By late every month, is it consistant on the same day late or all over the place late? Most people have dificulties managing their money so if they are otherwise a good tenant you could adjust the day the rent is due perhaps to line up with their payday? Get them to pay the difference per day to change the due date ie: $900/month rent on a 30 day month =$30/day. If they are consistantly 7 days late get them to anti up $210 to change the due date to meet their paydays. Tell them that this is to improve their credit rating. Other options if they are all over the place, give them notice to move (usually 2 months) with the excuse that things changed and you need to move a family member into the suite, with no mention of late rent or do a rent increase (10-12% per year) and hope they give their notice and if not put up with it while you get more rent late every nice about it, don't get upset, using creativity on your part is key.
  • Nery | 21 Apr 2015, 10:07 AM Agree 0
    Best solution that I have ever encountered is to offer an on-time payment discount rather than a late fee penalty. The carrot approach vs. the stick approach. This must be set up in advance of renting and setting the rate. For example, the rent is set at $975 but if paid on the 1st it is reduced to $950.
  • John Edmunds | 05 May 2015, 06:14 PM Agree 0
    So they are late every month for past six months or they are past due six months. I would start adding late fees if applicable and follow with the proper eviction notices as required.

One other thing, you have to stop electing these progressive activists, elect some conservatives and get the government out of your business and out of your pocket. Or better yet invest in Las Vegas Nevada, no rent controls here and 5-day pay or quit takes about 7-10 days to lock out.
Post a reply