Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Rogers heading to real estate market

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 26 Mar 2013, 05:00 AM Agree 0

Rogers currently owns Zoocasa.com, an online search tool that allows Canadian homebuyers and investors to search listings that fit their needs. If the application is approved, the site will be re-launched in May to compete with online property listings sites such as Trulia that allow homebuyers to access exclusive information about a listing.
Also, the site will become a fully-fledged directory of vetted agents, who can connect to potential buyers – for a price. Realtors will pay a fee for every connection and sale that occurs through Zoocasa.com.  
The timing is a cause of concern for many, coming after the Competition Bureau faces months of pushback in its drive to further open the MLS system to consumers with more personal information of home sellers. That coupled with a slowing market means the Rogers entrance may raise eyebrows, says mortgage agent Paolo Di Petta.
“If Rogers had done it earlier, they would have seen more growth," he says. "Now I think it’s too little too late.When the market goes down, that’s when buyers really need a broker’s service. That’s when they need the help to sell.”
Zoocasa president Carolyn Beatty has made it clear that the site isn’t meant to eradicate brokers or Realtors from the home-buying process, and DiPetta doesn't think it could.
“I don’t think it will cut them out of the process at all,” he says. “Having your property listed is bare essential in this market. It’s just not cut it when the market is down, investors will need Realtors and brokers now more than ever.”  
What do you think – will you be using Zoocasa to hunt for deals? Tell us in the comments.
  • Jim Reid, Broker | 26 Mar 2013, 08:20 PM Agree 0
    We must fight this corporatization of our industry. These companies have bottomless funds for advertising and marketing and can easily destroy our indpendent realtor ability to compete with them for Listings.
    There are few opportunities left for mature workers to keep on working into their 50;s, 60's and 70's. The corporate sector dumps older workers like garbage once they reach decent salaries in their late 40's. Yet these same corporations remove personalized services as anyone who has tried to get customer service from them knows. They set up multi-tiered levels of authority to limit or obstruct customer service.
    Our Competition bureau is a dismal failure at stopping the oligopolization of industry after industry in Canada. I was hoping my kids would have a chance to have a late career in real estate, but this will surely remove it and leave only a downhill path to poverty in their mature years.
  • Alan Zunec | 26 Mar 2013, 09:25 PM Agree 0
    I don't really think this is something realtors need to be too concerned about, it's only a matter of constantly evolving to keep up with the changes in the market. Anyone who isn't willing or able to evolve will have to look for another line or work, it's 2013 after all!
  • Ed Novak | 26 Mar 2013, 11:52 PM Agree 0
    This will be another comm free brokerage, but this time with a bottomless pit of cash for advertising. It will do nothing but undermine professional realtors and offer posting-only service. This will further devalue our services and destroy the little respect the public might have for us. I wonder what will happen once they and their clients get sued. Shall be interesting.

Just wish Rogers stuck to what they do best - screw the public up the butt with their cable, internet and wireless "services" (I wish they new the meaning of the word)
  • gord jackson | 27 Mar 2013, 02:26 AM Agree 0
    Guess where my cell phone contract is not going
  • Dawn Stetson | 27 Mar 2013, 08:36 PM Agree 0
    Guess I'll be moving my business from Rogers.
Post a reply