Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Serial tenants

Notify me of new replies via email
RealEstateJ | 11 May 2015, 01:42 PM Agree 0
has anyone ever had a "serial" tenant? What'd you do about it? I'm hearing about a lot of landlords running into this problem and I'm thinking about buying more properties, but I want to avoid people like this for sure. Thoughts?
  • Glenn | 14 May 2015, 01:11 PM Agree 0
    2005 was the year I bought my first rental property. The tenants were alright except for a couple of roguish
    ones who offered to do some updating and scammed me of thousands of dollars. My advice: do not accept any
    lowball offers of renovations or gardening chores from tenants.
    The following year, I moved house and put my house for rent. It was one disaster after another. The first couple
    turned out to be drug addicts and dealers and owed by over $8000 in unpaid rent and horrible damages to the
    house. The Tenancy Board was just a revolving door and bad renters know the cards and can stay for several months
    free. I lost over $23,000 to mugs like these. one of whom was a pastor before I was forced to sell the house.
    My advice is to screen tenants with a fine comb. A solid job is usually a good indicator. Avoid tenants with fly-by-night
    jobs and ones who can't be traced easily. Above all, have a good sense of intuition before you accept renters. You wouldn't
    lend your car to a stranger let alone rent your half-million property to strangers.

I only rent to students in myone remaining rental property. They can be noisy and annoy neighbours but usually can be talked into respecting them.
  • | 14 May 2015, 10:39 PM Agree 0
    I have heard of horror stories regarding serial renters. The landlord and tenancy act is definitely in favor of the renter.
    Many landlords lose lots of bucks with people who have no respect for anyone but themselves. The act needs to change to better protect landlords.
  • L | 15 May 2015, 10:30 AM Agree 0
    I'm a landlord and use 'Rent Check' as one of my steps in screening prospective tenants. They claim to be Canada's largest rental information network. They provide credit history but more importantly rental history. Any legal action that has been taken against a tenant is supposed to be posted. It's a network where landlords can share information on tenants. As a member, you can access the Rent Check database and in return you share info on your tenants thereby increasing their database. Though this is no guarantee that you won't end up with a serial tenant, it probably reduces your chances. One more tool available to landlords. You can find them on-line
  • Jon | 20 May 2015, 07:14 AM Agree 0
    I agree. A credit check is critical! The check not only shows a credit score, but previous addresses. Often a bad applicant will omit an address on thier application of a property they were evicted from or did not pay the rent, skipped out, damaged, ect. Without the credit report the landlord screening the applicant would never know this information.

I have often received applications with missing former addresses. I reject these applicants.
  • LLM | 20 May 2015, 11:33 PM Agree 0
    There's an interesting article about a delinquent tenant here from yesterday.
  • Aisha | 31 Jul 2015, 07:15 AM Agree 0
    As someone who is considering investing in rental properties, this doesn't sound fantastic!
  • | 09 Jan 2016, 12:47 AM Agree 0
    Good to know this
Post a reply