Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

‘Serial’ tenants wreak havoc

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 14 May 2015, 11:25 AM Agree 0
Months of lost rent, property damage and even hidden dynamite – “serial” tenants continue to terrorize landlords across Canada.
  • Jose Jafferji | 14 May 2015, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    The tenants can get away with everything in Canada. I have had tenants vandalize my properties, steal appliances, drug dealing and get into fights with other tenants causing serious injuries and there is very little landlords can do. You can take them to court but that seems to be a big waste of time and money. The police don't consider this criminal behavior, and their standard answer - "this is a civil matter and you have to take them to court".
    • Glenn | 15 May 2015, 12:08 AM Agree 0
      Bad tenants have been coddled far too long by the system. Landlords pay huge taxes for revenue
      properties and are shown a revolving door when seeking justice. In some countries, bad tenants are put on a national website by the authorities for future landlords to refer. This should bring these criminals to heel and respect other people's properties.
  • | 15 May 2015, 12:27 AM Agree 0
    My worst one stole all appliances including range hood. The moving out of appliances was recorded on security camera. Once I spot the bad n couple in a restaurant I called Police who showed up but could only taking down their name and contact. Nothing more the police can help.
  • Randy | 15 May 2015, 10:56 AM Agree 0
    I had one tenant like that who had apparently been a serial offender with other landlord's properties.
    He even egged my home before I finished evicting him ... then a year later came after our home and vehicles with a paintball gun.

My wife spotted the vehicle he and his friend were using in the second attack and gave a good description to police. The dummy had made the mistake later that evening of shooting two people with the paintball gun. The muzzle velocity of this device apparently enables it to have the legal description of a firearm and he was caught due to my wife's vehicle description.

Think he got 2 years. I was lucky but actually quite happy to put help put an idiot where he belonged.
  • Mountainliving | 15 May 2015, 04:44 PM Agree 0
    These are reason why I decided to not to be a landlord any longer. Tenants here in Canada have too way many rights and half a months rent is nothing. I had to replace a whole new deck for 10,000 because my tenant' s dog started chewing on the vinyl membrane. I had drug issues with one tenant and the police could not do anything. We as landlord want a safe place that is taken care of. I always feel like bad tenants are robbing me when they say the can't pay but instead they have 24 pack of beer and cigarettes in their hands. Today we as landlords subsidize for the government to provide affordable housing. In Australia where I use to live, their system is much better and I never had problems.
  • Gary | 17 May 2015, 07:40 AM Agree 0
    Sometimes it's so ridiculous it's hard to believe. I had clients whose Tenants paid no rent and when they were taken to the tribunal for the rent, they brought a counter application against the Landlord for failure to keep appliances in good repair. The strange thing was that appliances were not included in the unit. These appliances had been stolen from their previous Landlord!!
  • allpro7 | 17 May 2015, 01:30 PM Agree 0
    As a responsible tenant, I just had a run in with a Landlord who thought he would just offer me half my damage deposit back because my king sized bed frame made indentations in the carpet. I would like to see all deposits given to Landlords be put into a 'trust' account and only held back at written request of a tenant and landlord or by ordered arbitration.
    If there is damage caused to a rental unit, a claim can be made immediately by the landlord against the funds.
    It is the responsibility of the Landlord to do their due diligence in background checks of their prospective tenants and now I do research on my potential landlord to see if there had been previous problems with tenants and damage deposits in the past.
Post a reply