Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Small landlords face tough new competitors

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 16 Oct 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
An uptick in purpose-built rentals represents a new challenge for landlord-investors even in markets with strong rental demand
  • Samir Sa'd | 17 Oct 2015, 09:12 PM Agree 0
    For investors who purchased condos to rent in the last 3-5 years are not going to get the rent they need to cover their expenses they are not going to get it. More likely they are going to subsidize it. with these new rental units coming onto the market it it go to get more difficult fot those investors. If you are counting on appreciation, I doubt this too. Condo prices are not going to appreciate in value like homes with maintenave fees keep going up more than the inflation rate as these condo building get older.
  • Al | 07 Jan 2016, 09:37 PM Agree 0
    Might want to proof-read your article for spelling and grammar before you post!
  • Hans | 12 Jan 2016, 09:50 AM Agree 0
    Rentals and real estate is a very location sensative enterprise and any comments should identify the area referred to. In my area just north of Belleville ont the appreciation on properties in the last two years is almost zero.but the rental rates for 2 and 3 bedroom homes has increased by about 10 percent . My cap rate is around 7 for these single detached 3 bedroom homes. There are a few new built rentals around with 25percent higher rents but after a short time they are trying to sell them because of frequent vacancies. I also have rentals in cape breton Nova Scotia ,3bedroom detached homes which are a lot less expensive to buy but are easy to rent out once they are completely updated and decorated. There is no noticeable appreciation but the cash flow is very good in comparison to the purchase price and rehab cost of older homes in this area.
Post a reply