Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Smokers need to go

Notify me of new replies via email
MagJoe | 11 Nov 2014, 01:37 PM Agree 0
My Tenants keep smoking in the rental unit even though I've made it clear that it's a non-smoking house. Can I just kick them out – what's the process I have to follow ?
  • | 30 Nov 2014, 02:24 PM Agree 0
    I have the same issue- I verbally told them but somehow forgot to list in on the lease. What can I do?
  • | 01 Dec 2014, 03:21 PM Agree 0
    You cannot evict a tenant on the basis of smoking. According to the human rights code, smoking is considered a nicotine addiction, which is equivalent to a disability in their eyes. To learn more, feel free to read my article on smoking in condos: http://www.mississaugacondosplanet.com/mississauga-condo-for-sale/can-you-smoke-in-your-mississauga-condo/
    Freedom Malhotra
    Condo Planet

• MagJoe | 02 Dec 2014, 03:02 PM Agree 0
    Seems like we’re both in a pickle! This is seems like helpful information, but I don't own a condo and I don't answer to a condo corporation. This is a landlord-tenant problem and there is no third party. Can anyone else help!?
  • | 11 Dec 2014, 12:49 PM Agree 0
    some time official eviction may deter
  • sergerybrin | 29 Jan 2016, 12:15 AM Agree 0
    You just can't kick them out but should give them warning there is no smoking house...and if they again smoke then do action .
Post a reply