Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Stay rich, even during a downturn

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 29 Jul 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
A leading investor shares his tips to on how to excel in a struggling real estate market
  • David | 29 Jul 2016, 10:55 AM Agree 0
    Nice! "Prepare them for a deal in the private sale arena. Word of caution—make sure they are released from their obligations to the selling agent, often times these contracts extend even beyond the listing time frames." So you find the home listed on MLS then try to do a backdoor deal. Great advice, you sound like a real honorable guy.
  • Anne | 29 Jul 2016, 11:01 AM Agree 0
    Exactly my thoughts! I read this article thinking it was advice for realtors!
  • Victor | 29 Jul 2016, 11:11 AM Agree 0
    I think your being too hard on the author. If the home hasn't sold there's a reason, perhaps it was overpriced, didn't show well, etc. As long as the listing has expired it's above board. The homeowner wants to sell and if the agent and MLS didn't work out then there's nothing wrong with an alternative method. On the 2nd page of the article he makes note of treating the seller well so if it was my property for sale I'd certainly be open to working with him.
  • ken | 29 Jul 2016, 11:53 AM Agree 0
    Most listings have a holdover clause which can be quite long if agreed to by seller when listing If someone was introduced to the property by a Realtor and buys privately from seller during this holdover period, real estate commission payment will apply if caught!
  • Maria | 29 Jul 2016, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    Shame on those who commented on Mr. Weum being a dishonorable man. He clearly states "make sure they are released from their obligations to the selling agent." If a REALTOR hasn't done THEIR JOB and sold the house, then anyone can make an offer to the owner once the contract is over. The arrogance of some people is just too much! I am sure the owners of the houses that Mr. Weum purchased are very grateful that he approached them. Great read Justin da Rosa!
  • Brian | 31 Jul 2016, 04:49 PM Agree 0
    Sounds like a typical user investor of the realtors and their MLS system to line his own pockets Why not contact the agent that has a listing and make your offer thru him Always amazes me how these underhanded investors try to take advantage of a troubled seller and then try to make themselves sound like the white knight Come on call it what it is,..underhanded on all fronts
  • Oby | 01 Aug 2016, 07:37 PM Agree 0
    I find it unbelievable that anyone could find fault with the way the writer was handling this transaction. I am impressed with the kind of win-win situation he created here for himself as an investor and his distressed seller.
    We all need a little bit of kindness from time to time.
    Thanks for sharing
Post a reply