Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Strong Loonie driving U.S. property purchases

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 28 Feb 2013, 05:06 PM Agree 0

In the year ending in March 2012, Canadians made up 24 per cent of all international sales, making them the largest buyers of U.S. real estate before China (11 per cent) and Mexico (9 per cent). According to Jason Mercer, senior manager, market analysis at the Toronto Real Estate Board, several contributing factors including the strong performance of the Canadian dollar as reasons homebuyers and investors are heading south.
 “The value of the Canadian dollar has been high relative to the U.S. dollar in recent years” he said. “It is reasonable to assume Canadian households have taken advantage of the high Canadian dollar to purchase goods and services south of the border, including real estate.” The loonie has appreciated over 5 percent in value above the U.S. dollar, Euro and British Sterling, it’s fastest rise since 1974.
The weakened economy and housing crash in the United States were draws for international buyers from all over the world in 2012. More than $82.5 billion in US real estate was sold to foreign buyers, up from $16.1 billion from the previous year. Mercer suspects another reason Canadians were responsible for almost a quarter of international sales is the strong performance of the Canadian housing market over the past four years.
“The Canadian real estate market has performed well since the recession,” he said. “Save for a short period of price decline during the economic downturn in 2009, many markets across the country have experienced year-over-year price growth, including Greater Toronto, Canada’s largest metropolitan area.” Reports from both BoC and CREA indicate the housing prices across the country have enjoyed a consistent increase each year for over a decade, with markets such as Toronto and Calgary enjoying standout gains.
  • suthapklomrod | 03 Mar 2013, 08:35 AM Agree 0
    Have you ever wondered why some investors make over +$100,000 in a single deal and get real estate deals coming to THEM instead of having to chase after them?Many people believe that you have to work hard in order to be successful.But I will tell you that that is only half right... To be
    honest, I don't work very hard (only part-time and only when I feel like it)but yet I am able to get a lot of profitable real estate deals and make in the top 1% of Canadian household incomes! Years ago, I discovered how to do it from other highly successful real estate investors..By working smart, and not
    just work hard.And I have kept this a secret until now... So how exactly do I do it?I am about to reveal to you an industry secret that can easily be your shortcut to your success!
    "At Last! A Super-Easy Way To Locate Foreclosures
    Guaranteed To Put More Cash In Your Pocket - FAST!"
    Go to =>
    “I really can’t recommend this resource enough!”
Post a reply