Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Student Residences

Notify me of new replies via email
RealEstateJ | 11 Nov 2014, 09:20 AM Agree 0
My colleague, Jennifer, has four homes near in Rexdale near Humber College’s north campus and rents the properties to students between $500-600 a month per room; there are four to five people in each house. The residences are also in a low-income neighbourhood so she’s getting a good return and has little to no trouble finding tenants. I’m thinking of following in her footsteps but I’ve also heard about horror stories when renting to studies. They’re always broke, get drunk and break things, get involved with drugs. Is it wise to invest in student housing?
  • | 28 Nov 2014, 05:57 PM Agree 0
    I just saw this post. I have a student rental for sale near Durham College and UOiT. The rental amount is correct.

You have to be careful who you bring in as students. Once they are in, they generally stay for the whole 3-4 years. My my seller's point of view, they always paid the rent on time and her students did not get drunk and break things. She had them the whole period. But you are responsible for grass/snow maintenance and for general property upkeep. If you are interested in a rental in the east area, look at 1706 Erindale, Oshawa or contact me at Thanks.
  • alexiscooper5 | 02 Dec 2014, 03:27 AM Agree 0
    my brother is in prince george canada but i do not really know how life is in canada but from what he has told me life in canada is really fun and friendly i am looking foward to go and join my brother over there to start college to be with nice people because to be honest i really hate it where i am ... that is my advice try other places like prince george there might be really nice colleges there you know
  • Greg | 07 Feb 2015, 12:36 AM Agree 0
    I have two student rentals in Peterborough ON (Trent U). I feel students are the ideal tenants, assuming you pick the right ones. Contrary to popular belief, they are not broke and are often supported by the parents. Turnover is higher, the longest a group will stay with you is at most 3-4 years, but I prefer knowing I can get rid of tenants rather than being stuck with bad renters who won’t leave.
Post a reply