Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Tax breaks for landlords

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 09 Sep 2015, 04:34 PM Agree 0
The federal election has one of the parties dangling a carrot for landlords.
  • Ann | 09 Sep 2015, 09:02 PM Agree 0
    Great! Renovating my rental now so guess I'll miss the tax break. Usage of RRSPs isn't restricted to first time buyers. If you've used RRSPs, they must be repaid and you cannot have lived in a home you've owned for a period of at least 4 calendar years. If you used RRSPs, repaid the amount cashed in and moved out of the home a minimum of 4 calendar years before the date of the next use of the program (i.e. you could still own it & treat as a rental, the key is not actually living there), under the RRSP program, you're considered a first time buyer. It'd be nice if politicians actually understood the existing policies before developing new policies.
  • Nate | 10 Sep 2015, 05:42 PM Agree 0
    My understanding is that you or your spouse cannot have owned any home for a minimum of four years prior to becoming re-eligible under current rules
  • Mamaelf | 27 Sep 2015, 03:33 PM Agree 0
    I think this is another empty promise. Once elected most politicians find a way to back out of their promises. So I am not voting Liberal because I don't believe them and actions speak louder than words. So far, very little action except to take away what Canadians already have (like the new law this August that has $100 deductible for Seniors. This basically penalizes seniors who are healthy!!!) Spend millions of dollars on immigrants but not on healthcare or Education on the people who already live here!!!!
Post a reply