Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The benefits of owning multiple properties

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 07 Apr 2015, 09:16 AM Agree 0
Investor Lee Strauss explains how owning multiple properties equals multiple income streams for the savvy investor.
  • TimRemken | 07 Apr 2015, 07:11 PM Agree 0
    Good article Lee. My favourite so far.
    Breaking down the income streams clearly like that is what I needed to see.
    Clearly I need to buy more investment properties!
  • | 09 Apr 2015, 12:49 PM Agree 0
    re-check your math on the mortgage paydown. You've under estimated in after 10 years.
  • | 12 Apr 2015, 07:23 AM Agree 0
    Agree with the above comment ^
  • Kp | 12 Apr 2015, 04:54 PM Agree 0
    Large portions of your monthly payments are interest so the mortgage pay down is accurate. The principal will be paid down in the last years, bank makes their money first
  • | 10 May 2015, 03:11 PM Agree 0
    whoever wrong this has the math completely wrong.

like the previous comment re-check your math on the mortgage balance after 10 years.

318 per cent for 10 years does not mean 31.8 per cent per year. it is about 15% per year.

who will pay these expenses? realtor commissions on sale, property taxes, maintenance expense, vacant periods, tenant rent collection, eviction if needed, tenant credit verification cost, and the time you put in.

Also in canada real estate does not appreciate at 4%, it appreciates more in the 2% to 2.5% range for single family if maintained well and 1% for townhouse condos.
  • John Edmunds Las Vegas | 05 Jun 2015, 03:45 PM Agree 0
    Excellent article and basic enough for anyone to understand. Why wouldn't you want to own multiple properties. An additional plus is when one or more come up vacant you have enough cash flow to still cover all your expenses.
  • rue. | 23 Dec 2015, 07:28 PM Agree 0
    "318 per cent for 10 years does not mean 31.8 per cent per year. it is about 15% per year."

Correct. The author is calculating it arithmetically. It needs to be calculated geometrically for an accurate per annum return on investment. Use a simple present value calculation to get the right percentage/year return.
Post a reply