Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Time to update the Landlord and Tenants Act?

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 23 Apr 2015, 09:15 AM Agree 0
With Ontario's slanted bias that favours tenants over landlords, one landlord membership group is asking for changes to the LTA to benefit both landlords and tenants.
  • Randy | 23 Apr 2015, 04:53 PM Agree 0
    Frankly, I agree with the fine to the landlord ... IF the Landlord and Tenant Board recognizes it as justification for an eviction through an N5 notification. For me, with month to month rentals in older neighbourhoods, other tenants or neighbours simply won't testify at LTB court for fear of retribution by a bad tenant.

A legal document naming the apartment and address can help me evict an idiot and a potentially dangerous tenant once in a while for a small fee (otherwise known as a fine).
  • JC | 26 Apr 2015, 10:04 AM Agree 0
    Why does the word "update" or "reform" often mean taking something away from individuals, especially when landlords already have so much power?

I have a close friend who's been fighting with a former landlord for more than a year over the return of a security deposit and not being paid interest on her last month's rent at the condo where she lived for a year. The landlord claimed she left the flat dirty and damaged, but he never did walkthroughs when she moved in or out, nor provided receipts for cleaning or any repairs on the supposed damage. She provided him with receipts showing that she had a cleaning service twice a month, including the day before she moved out.

Now she is forced to go to the L&T Board's housing court. Because it doesn't take on-line filings, it meant going to the court to file, paying the filing fee, and taking a full day off work on the hearing date because the docket is so crowded that parties can sit all day waiting for their case to be called. How would the proposed changes improve her situation?
  • MrZora | 26 Apr 2015, 06:47 PM Agree 0
    I am a Landlord that considers and accepts Tenants on OW and ODSP.
    To accept one of the above mentioned Tenants, I require that the housing portion of their benefit comes directly to me as rent. Even if agreed to in writing, the Tenant can arbitrarily cancel this as soon as they move in, and they frequently do.
    I feel that once agreed to, this should not be something that the Tenant can unilaterally decide to cancel.
    The Landlord and Tenant Board is heavily slanted in favour of the tenant period, and does nothing to help in this situation and will not enforce this agreement, even when it has been agreed to in writing (ie. the lease).
Post a reply