Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Top tax-friendly towns: Saint John

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 19 May 2015, 09:25 AM Agree 0
Beyond the coastal atmosphere and leisurely lifestyle lies a market where property taxes and average prices are low, which could make Saint John a hit among property buyers.
  • NB resident | 18 Apr 2016, 08:47 PM Agree 0
    This article doesn't mention the non-owner occupied tax which essentially doubles the amount.
  • Non Resident | 03 Jan 2017, 02:48 PM Agree 0
    This doesn't seem to be a very well researched article. With the high vacancy rates and the nonresident taxes you will have to search to find the right buildings. Most for sale have not been maintained. That coupled with the low rents because of vacancy, cost of property management and the incredibly HIGH taxes for out of province owners make this only attractive as stated for NB residents.
  • Left NB in 1970 | 27 Jan 2017, 09:36 PM Agree 0
    I completely agree with "Non Resident". I wanted to return to New Brunswick for my retirement. I looked into buying a house last year, before returning there to enjoy my retirement, thinking that it would be less expensive than Ontario. The actual house might be less expensive, but to my surprise, unless one has lived in N.B. for at least 6 months, residential taxes are double the already very high mil rates, if a person buys a house before that time. So, how is a retired person supposed to prepare to move their furniture and belongings to a new house, when doing so would mean $6000.00 in residential taxes for the first year, when they would be $3000.00 for a New Brunswicker, in a city like Moncton, for example. Does that encourage people to return to their home province? It is short sighted and in the long run reduces tax revenue for the province.

A nephew of mine has a two story, 6 year old house in a nice neighbourhood in Moncton. He pays about $3600.00 per year in taxes on that house. That is a higher tax rate than Toronto, Ontario ! Not the best way of welcoming back New Brunswickers. The NB gov't bureaucracy is actually harming their own provinces financial welfare with policies such as these.
Post a reply