Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Toronto ‘professional tenant’ gets the boot

Notify me of new replies via email
Ephraim Vecina | 25 Nov 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Toronto scrounger James Regan arrested and charged with assault
  • | 25 Nov 2016, 05:16 PM Agree 0
    I personally feel there is only him there is lot of other professional tenants out there; as a landlord; there is no way for you to get protected against them and the law is in more favor of them; i personally have been in that position where i never collected the rent or utilities for 5 months
  • | 25 Nov 2016, 08:45 PM Agree 0
    if someone steals from store then he is a criminal, how this could be different?
  • Scott | 26 Nov 2016, 08:33 AM Agree 0
    @ prior poster.

I assume the law says it's a contractual dispute and the two sides need to sort it out between themselves or if that fails, in small claims court.

I *DO* think it's theft, as you implied since the "professional tenant" is staying somewhere they have no paid for. Good luck getting the cops to do anything though.
  • Linda | 26 Nov 2016, 09:28 AM Agree 0
    The rules are very much in favor of the tenant here. One really needs to do a thorough job of checking two to three past rental references. Also call the last two jobs for references and do credit and criminal checks on the person. This may not be fool proof, but is better than just having them fill out a rental application. My daughter rented an apt . for an assignment in the US. I could not believe how much the rules were in favor of the landlord there. The complete opposite of Canada. We really do need to make the rental laws more equal here and not so one sided for the tenant. I have heard of horrible landlords as well, but have heard of many, many more stories of bad tenant issues.
  • a good landlord | 27 Nov 2016, 01:14 PM Agree 0
    It IS theft, but the government doesn't care because there are more tenants than landlords.
Post a reply