Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

TREB insists on passwords for MLS listings

Notify me of new replies via email
guest | 22 Aug 2011, 02:12 PM Agree 0

The TREB announcement, made on Friday, comes a month after the Competition Bureau updated its lawsuit against the Toronto board by saying password protected sites are still anti-competitive and discriminatory.TREB said the updated lawsuit wasn’t going to change its stance, filing a response rejecting the latest update.“TREB is committed to upholding the quality of the MLS system, while protecting the privacy and other rights of consumers who list and purchase their homes in the Greater Toronto real estate market,” said Toronto Real Estate Board President Richard Silver.After the initial announcement of a Competition Bureau lawsuit, the TREB has said it is developing a Virtual Office Website (VOW) for Realtors. This website will be password-protected that will allow consumers working with Realtors to search and display MLS listing data.The competition commissioner called on the TREB to release private data about individual consumers openly on the Internet, including sale price and histories, as well as personal contacts.Silver said the commissioner is “unnecessary posturing and publicity.”
  • Bruna Reyn | 24 Aug 2011, 07:11 PM Agree 0
    Thank you, TREB, for standing up to the Competition Bureau. I used to be in real estate when listing information was in Real Estate News and individual newsprints with house photo on the front and legal information on the back side of the listing. The MLS system developed over many years, and continually improving, is the result of ongoing suggestions, input and investment of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of $$$ from realtors. It was paid for by YOUR members. IT BELONGS TO REALTORS. It would also be nice if it were limited to full-time realtors so that the profession would be treated with more respect. After all, who will be responsible for unethical practices, incorrect or misleading information, peoples’ privacy, if this is opened to everyone?
    Please don’t freely give away what your members have worked hard to develop and improve with high standards of ethics and legality. Also, it is the general experience for realtors (and mortgage brokers!) that people DO NOT APPRECIATE what they do not pay for. I suspect that the employees at the Competition Bureau are well compensated for what they do. It is easy to give away something that does not come out of your own pocket.
    Keep up the fight!
    Bruna
  • Bruna Reyn | 24 Aug 2011, 08:11 PM Agree 0
    Thank you, TREB, for standing up to the Competition Bureau. I used to be in real estate when listing information was in Real Estate News and individual newsprints with house photo on the front and legal information on the back side of the listing. The MLS system developed over many years, and continually improving, is the result of ongoing suggestions, input and investment of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of $$$ from realtors. It was paid for by YOUR members. IT BELONGS TO REALTORS. It would also be nice if it were limited to full-time realtors so that the profession would be treated with more respect. After all, who will be responsible for unethical practices, incorrect or misleading information, peoples’ privacy, if this is opened to everyone?
    Please don’t freely give away what your members have worked hard to develop and improve with high standards of ethics and legality. Also, it is the general experience for realtors (and mortgage brokers!) that people DO NOT APPRECIATE what they do not pay for. I suspect that the employees at the Competition Bureau are well compensated for what they do. It is easy to give away something that does not come out of your own pocket.
    Keep up the fight!
    Bruna
  • Leslie | 28 Aug 2011, 02:14 PM Agree 0
    great post. thanks for sharing and posting!
  • Leslie | 28 Aug 2011, 03:14 PM Agree 0
    great post. thanks for sharing and posting!
  • Crazy | 29 Aug 2011, 05:36 PM Agree 0
    If they win, then I want to see all there credit card statements, their bills, their kids school grades,..

People selling their homes dont want the entire world to know their business. Total invasion of privacy.

While a house is listed you can see the entire lay out of the home.. ok thats fine cause its usually listed for a few weeks.. but what about historical homes sold? everyone has access to everyones home designs and structures? this is just an open door for theives..

this lawsuit is rediculous.
  • Crazy | 29 Aug 2011, 06:36 PM Agree 0
    If they win, then I want to see all there credit card statements, their bills, their kids school grades,..

People selling their homes dont want the entire world to know their business. Total invasion of privacy.

While a house is listed you can see the entire lay out of the home.. ok thats fine cause its usually listed for a few weeks.. but what about historical homes sold? everyone has access to everyones home designs and structures? this is just an open door for theives..

this lawsuit is rediculous.
Post a reply