Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Utility hikes are killing cash flows

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 25 Feb 2014, 09:46 PM Agree 0

Homeowners need to take immediate action to stop utility bills from eating into profits before they escalate again.
“My utility bills increased by 24 per cent during 2013 for waste, water and energy. That is a huge expense for any investor, and especially in regions where you can only increase rents marginally,” says Pierre-Paul Turgeon, owner of Matterhorn Real Estate Investments.
According to the Canadian Energy Efficiency Alliance, 75 per cent of Canadians believe in conserving energy is important but only 22 per cent are actively doing something to reduce usage.
Specializing in multi-family investments in Alberta, Turgeon advises other investors to consult with energy saving companies to reduce their bills. “Cash-flow in multi-families is less than other properties so you need to save costs where possible,” he says. “The multi-family benefits from the multiplier effect so for every one dollar increase in rental income; that increases the value of the property by $16.”
Turgeon will discuss all multi-family investment opportunities and issues at the forthcoming Toronto Investor Forum event on March 22 and 23. The two-day event takes place in the International Centre.
Related Articles:  Banks have no clue on micro-condo market, argues leading agent
Stop following the crowd, the King says
  • Wayne Borbey | 27 Feb 2014, 02:54 PM Agree 0
    If things continue as they are we won't have a democracy any longer but rather an aristocracy and the rest of us. We will have sunk to an old European mentality. In my opinion it is all due to irresponsible and inept government being in the pockets of business. The cause is greed plainly and simply. And to think that we are immune to revolution in this country is naive and dangerous.Everyone had better wake up before we hit the point of no return.
Post a reply