Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Vacancies tip scale in favour of landlords

Notify me of new replies via email
Guest | 16 Aug 2012, 08:45 PM Agree 0

Tenants can expect to battle for rental units this fall, as the vacancy rate in that expensive city slips to just 1.1 percent, concludes the CMHC in its latest forecast. And as the number of units available continues to decrease, the rental rates are on the up.
The average for a one-bedroom unit is expected to jump from $964 to $1,005 this fall.  
Vancouver’s traditionally low vacancy rates have been receding steadily since 2003. Heading into September, students will be scrambling to find apartments. The demand exceeds the supply, and this trend shows no signs of changing.
Although this is great news for investors, according to the City of Vancouver, a healthy vacancy rate should sit no lower than 2%. According to senior economist and managing director at BMO Capital Markets Earl Sweet, this isn’t just a trend specific to residential units. The strong demand for B.C.’s commercial real estate also benefits from low vacancy rates and high rental price tags.
“Higher occupancy, spurred by steady growth in employment, manufacturing, wholesaling and retailing, is reducing office, industrial and retail vacancies, while lease rates are edging upward,” says Sweet. “Meanwhile, large U.S. retailers are targeting what they view as the underserved Canadian market for expansion.”
  • Ray Harris | 17 Aug 2012, 11:41 PM Agree 0
    WHY RENT when its going to cost more ....JUST BUY!!
  • cheemo | 21 Aug 2012, 05:00 PM Agree 0
    Have you seen Vancouver prices? Qualify, how?
  • Lynn | 21 Aug 2012, 05:13 PM Agree 0
    Comment #1
    I am sure many people would like to buy a home but coming up with tthe down payment on a $500.00 dollar home which is low end for Vancouver. Is next to impossible when trying to raise a family. How could anyone possibly get 25 to 30 thousand dollars together. It would take years. I am sure they would love to buy but it is just so unreachable. Not to mention the amount of income you have to achieve to qualify for that kind of mortgage.
    Your answer is so simplistic but not realistic
Post a reply