Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Vancouver tackles issue of vacant homes

Notify me of new replies via email
Canadian Realestate Magazine | 27 Apr 2015, 07:00 AM Agree 0
The increasing number of vacant homes in Vancouver is to be tackled by a new initiative announced over the weekend by the City of Vancouver’s chief housing officer.
  • EddieN | 27 Apr 2015, 08:23 AM Agree 0
    So people are now asked to spy on neighbour's. Is this communism? Since when are people not allowed to do with their property whatever they want (within law), including keeping it vacant? And let's say that it is vacant? Will the government then force the owners to rent it out as "affordable" housing? This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. The whole thing stinks of a police state.
  • Dave | 27 Apr 2015, 10:01 AM Agree 0
    Totally agreed with you Eddie.
    Don't they also pay thier property taxes???? This taskforce should tackle the issue of trespassing person canping at the properties instead.
  • Joe | 27 Apr 2015, 10:33 AM Agree 0
    Apparently you do not own your property anymore. You merely license it from the state. If you pay your property taxes and the building isn't in dangerous disrepair, then it is nobody's business if it is vacant or not.
  • KRead | 27 Apr 2015, 11:11 AM Agree 0
    Insurance companies do not insure empty houses. They are a high risk, so yes, I would be worried if there was an empty house next to me. That said, they are dreaming if they think they can enact some "must be occupied" law.
    The easiest way to increase the rental housing stock is to change the Strata Property Act so that strata corporations cannot restrict the ability of individual owners to lease their condos.
  • opressed | 27 Apr 2015, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    That is what you get when you elect idiots. Remember this @ next time to vote. This is not a free country any more.
    • Dave | 27 Apr 2015, 11:18 PM Agree 0
      Yes, these politicians should go out side of thier comfort zones to learn see, and look at how others in their countries resolve provincial, national issues.
  • C Santos | 27 Apr 2015, 01:18 PM Agree 0
    What exactly do they intend to do to "tackle the problem" ?? And I agree with the previous posts: As long as I'm not harming anyone why can't I leave my investment empty?
    I notice these sites are never of much value to me... the pose headlines that make me want to read the article and invariably, I'm disappointed that I took the time to read it. Are we Realtors paying for this crap? I guess I should "unsubscribe" ... sheesh...
  • | 27 Apr 2015, 02:55 PM Agree 0
    Hate to think someone could go on a world cruise or extended vacation and end up being forced to rent their home. Really?? What country would do this? Surely not one that promotes personal freedom
Post a reply