The Toronto real estate market is in a sustained ‘sellers’ market state. Buyers have to be prepared to take action when they find a house they want. For first-time buyers (and those of you who haven’t done this in a while), there’s lots that you need to know – not just about the market, but about the process. Knowing the basics will help you to prepare yourself for your experience.
The following is by no means a comprehensive list; rather, it’s sort of a “Top 5″ things you should know.
1. Be an educated Buyer. Learn as much as you can about the market before you buy. The Toronto real estate market is extremely competitive, and you don’t want to be caught napping.
2. Be honest and open with your Realtor. I work for you and can best help you if I have a good understanding of your needs. Once I know your needs, my job is to be your objective guide in the process, and to ensure your needs and interests are met and protected. The more info I have from (and about) you, the better I can do my job.
3. Get pre-approved for your mortgage as soon as possible. This helps youdetermine your budget, and locks in today’s best rate for you. I refer many clients to mortgage professionals should they need one. You speak to them all and pick the one you think is the best fit for you.
4. Buy the best home you can afford in the best neighborhood you can afford. You are almost always better off with the least expensive home in the area rather than the most expensive. That said, I strongly recommend that you be conservative with your budget.
5. There are no perfect homes. Be ready to make compromises and concessions. Know what’s most important to you and ‘give’ on those things that aren’t.
Simon Milberry is a sales representative with RE/MAX Hallmark Realty Ltd in Toronto. Check out www.simonmilberry.com, T: @RealEstateSimon, Facebook: RealEstateSimon or 416 699 9292.
Are you looking to invest in property? If you like, we can get one of our mortgage experts to tell you exactly how much you can afford to borrow, which is the best mortgage for you or how much they could save you right now if you have an existing mortgage. Click here to get help choosing the best mortgage rate
Investment Hot Spots:
Pembroke, Mount Pearl, Sheffield, Hazlet, Hesson