Canadian Realestate Magazine forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Man claims ownership of $300,000 Texas house after paying just $16

Notify me of new replies via email
guest | 20 Jul 2011, 03:20 PM Agree 0

According to the Houston-based KHOU TV station, Kenneth Robinson moved into a house previously under foreclosure for a year, located on a well-manicured prestigious block in the town of Flower Mound. The former owners were forced to leave after the house went into foreclosure, but then the mortgage company also went out of business.Robinson took advantage of a little known law called adverse possession that allowed him to move in and own exclusive bargaining rights with the previous owner. If he’s able to stay within the property for three years, Robinson will take full ownership by being awarded the title. Adverse possession was created to allow someone to move in and prevent an abandoned home from falling into disrepair. The website promotes the practice, even pointing to the possibility of doing it in Canada.Robinson told the Texas TV station that until he wins the title, he doesn’t expect the mortgage payments to be made by the previous owner, nor does he expect an expensive legal battle with the existing mortgage holder, which would force him out. Until then, he’s been living without electricity or water due to the lack of deed, but the reward after three years seems worth it.“This is not a normal process, but it’s not a process that’s not known,” Robinson told KHOU.Neighbours, however, are not happy, calling Robinson a squatter who should be forced to pay for the house.
  • Brandon | 20 Jul 2011, 11:12 PM Agree 0
    In Canada, Adverse possession is not possible against land that is covered by the Land Titles System.
  • Thane Lanz | 20 Jul 2011, 11:49 PM Agree 0
    I looked into the issue of Squater's Rights in Canada before. The law is not as clear as you think. We have the same underlying system as the US and Sqauter's rights goes back to English Common Law. If there are any lawyers perhaps they can add their two cents.

    Thane Lanz
    Zero Down Canada
  • Brandon | 21 Jul 2011, 02:17 AM Agree 0
    Adverse possession is not available everywhere in Canada and, for example, it cannot be used to obtain possession of land owned by the Crown (the government). So forget about trying to take over a part of a provincial park or a national park simply by putting up a fence. There are also different ways each province and territory keeps track of registering title to property in Canada. One system is called the Land Titles System and the other is called the Registry System. Adverse possession is not possible against land that is covered by the Land Titles System. However, it is possible to obtain adverse possession against land that is registered under the Registry System. You need to check with a lawyer in your province if you are worried that someone is trying to take control of your property.
  • Shiela Smith | 20 Feb 2012, 09:14 AM Agree 0
    Court decisions have not always looked favorably upon squatters. One well-known squatter, Kenneth Robinson, was attempting to get a $330,000 home for the $16 filing fee, and has been evicted from the home he was occupying. Article resource: <a title="Courts are kicking adverse possession practitioners out of homes" href="">Courts are kicking adverse possession practitioners out of homes</a>
Post a reply