By Phil McCarroll
Within the increasingly current competitive rental property market, it is critical for owners to have core points of difference to build a competitive edge over other properties on the market and secure a tenant quickly. Attracting great tenants starts with marketing and advertising the property professionally – many professional real estate photographers are very reasonable with properties achieving more interest, hits on the web, better first impressions and a quicker tenant in place.
Vacancy periods are costly to owners - holding on for an extra $15 per week is false economy, given you have essentially lost $1,600 in rent (as an example). Accordingly, it is critical to ensure you are asking market rent for your property achieved through undertaking a comparative rental analysis.
Key attraction factors for tenants based on our research include:
- Location – tenants prefer properties located close to infrastructure such as shops, cafes, restaurants, bus/city cat services, parks, schools (although not across the road from schools or on main roads)
- Pet friendly properties – this secures many long term tenants and with a comprehensive Pet Agreement there are seldom any issues
Light airy ambience, clean and tidy with storage space
- Parking, carport and/or as a last resort access to street parking without incurring tickets
- A well maintained property – this relates to both owners (to budget for this) and property managers (to follow through on maintenance issues)
- Modern bathroom and kitchen – tenants are well informed and no longer accept significantly dated properties i.e. circa 1970’s tired kitchens and bathrooms – owners can secure great modular kitchens and bathrooms at very reasonable prices
- Security – to have the opportunity to secure longer leases – this relates most frequently to families with children
- No discrimination based on age, gender, family type, ethnicity etc when putting in an application to rent your property – tenants are astute and can work out if discrimination is taking place overtly or covertly
- Air conditioning – even in Canada, it’s a consideration
Are you looking to invest in property? If you like, we can get one of our mortgage experts to tell you exactly how much you can afford to borrow, which is the best mortgage for you or how much they could save you right now if you have an existing mortgage. Click here to get help choosing the best mortgage rate